Grounding FYI.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Grounding FYI.....

When I installed my power sliding window last week, I used a convenient bolt located to the left side of my interior fuse panel for the ground connection. It looked like a good spot, tested as a ground with my voltmeter, and the slider worked fine until yesterday.

When I went to close the slider, it didn't move. Made no sound at all and I just knew it was broke. As I played with the window more with the truck turned off, the accessory circuit would power up (radio, guages, dash lights, etc.) every time I pushed the window switch. Not good at all I'm thinking. After about an hour of piddling with it, troubleshooting, and cussing, I finally moved the ground connection to the kick panel (directly to the body) and it's working fine now.

I don't think I hurt any of my trucks electrical stuff as everything seems fine now. Evidentally, the bolts on either side of the fuse panel are NOT a good place to pick up a ground.

Hope this helps someone not make this mistake.

Old 04-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where did you end up putting the switch Rob?

RP

Old 04-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hanging out from the kick panel right now. Found a billet flame switch that I want to get, but can't decide if I want to replace all of my switches. No luck with the junkyards yet, but they are keeping an eye out for a Contour. I'm definately going over-head with the switch when I find the right one.

Quick Reply: Grounding FYI.....