Changing Light Bulbs in Dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Changing Light Bulbs in Dash

1998 F150 XLT, 4x4, 5.4L

There are few light bulbs in the left-hand side of the instrument panel of my truck that are burnt out and in need of replacement. The dealer tried to soak me for $~100 to change them. My question(s);

1) Can the light bulbs be changed without removing the dash?
2) If the answer to number 1 is no then how difficult is it to change the bulbs?

There is something in my genetic makeup that refuses to allow me to pay $100+ for someone to change light bulbs for me.

Thanks in advance for your time. . .

Larry

Old 04-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) NO.
2) Not too dificult. Find a manual or instructions for removing the dash panels, from there its not hard at all. Any decent manual about the F-150 (i.e. Chilton, etc) will cover this procedure.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Larry,
It is not hard at all except for removing the light switch so you can get the facing panel off. I actually broke my switch getting it out and had to replace. I forget the easy way to do it but try a search or seporate post asking how to remove the light switch. Many here can help you. I replaced all the lights in the dash while I had it open and except for the switch, it was pritty simple.

WLF

Old 04-05-2003, 12:19 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Larry,

To remove the instrument cluster check out this link: http://www.fordtruckworld.com/tenArt...?aid=202&sid=2

Because you have a 98 the head light switch removal is different. Disconnect battery. Turn head light switch clockwise all the way to headlight position. Pull the ****, it will come out about ¼ inch. Under the **** is a small square hole. Use a paper clip or small nail to push up in this hole to unclip the ****. Remove the ****. Turn the **** 180° and reinstall it. Turn the **** counterclockwise until the botton of the **** is pointing to OFF. Turn the **** clockwise fully. Remove the switch.

So in a nut shell you turn the lights on, pull off the ****, but it back on backwards, turn off the lights, turn the lights back on and pull out the switch.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Last edited by JMC; 04-05-2003 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing Light Bulbs in Dash