Gremlins in my radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gremlins in my radio?

I'll try to make this quick and to the point.
I went in to work for a little while today in my 97 F-150. When I came back out to my truck the clock and radio had lost all settings. The truck started normally but when I turned on the radio it came up on am.530! Not FM 98.7. I flipped through AM/FM1/FM2 and all my settings were gone. Any clue as to what the problem is? I did a quick search of this forum first, think it's my battery? According to the voltmeter the alternator is charging fine.

TIA

Old 03-17-2003, 08:03 PM
You know what's odd? The other day mine did this as well (2003 F-150).

I came out and the radio acted like the battery had died. However the battery was obviously in good condition and it started up like normal.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I'll admitt that radios are not my specialty, but I do know that most newer radios have a separate power lead (in addition to the main red hot lead) to maintain the memory in the radio. In boats, this lead is usually yellow and has it's own fuse. Could you have blow the fuse on the memory lead? This would lead to exactly the symptoms you mentioned. There's also the possibility that you lost ground in the radio. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2003, 12:42 PM
Strange.

I REMOVED my radio for about 1 hr. last night and after re-installing, ALL the radio presets were STILL SET! The time was reset but NONE of the radio presets....

2003 SCrew.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:29 PM
I guess it gets stranger...I reprogramed some of my presets and so far (knock on wood) they're still there! I guess it's some X-files government conspiracy EMP bomb or soemthing. Has anyone else had this problem?

brinet,

Perhaps there's a capacitor inside the radio itself that holds enough electricity to keep your presets?

Old 03-29-2003, 11:16 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My first suggestion on this problem is to **ABSOLUTELY NOT THROW WATER ON YOUR RADIO**. If there are gremlins in there, we don't want them 'sprouting' new ones.

I'm sending Gizmo over to help with your problem...

RP

Old 04-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Now you tell me RockPick! I've been squashin' them little thangs fer two weeks now! BTW I saw Gizmo this past weekend...my Aunt's cat Gizmo that is. He's old, got his name from the movie when it was in theaters! Knock on wood my radio has held its presets since that one incident.

Quick Reply: Gremlins in my radio?