Which Optima battery should i buy,Yellow or Red top?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Optima battery should i buy,Yellow or Red top?

Whats going on guys?
It's time to replace my battery and i was wondering which Optima battery i should buy.The red top or the Deep cycle Yellow top.
I've only used red tops and never had a problem.
But i heard from a couple of my friends that with my truck and all the accessories that are on it (off road lights,underdrive pulleys,and a system) that i should use the Yellow top.
The current setup now is a single battery.
Any advice would be helpful.

Jerry D.

Old 01-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at the two batteries you'll see that the red top is rated in CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) while the yellow top is rated in AmpHours.

The point is that the CCA battery is designed to start your vehicle and provide a lot of power for a brief period, while the AmpHour battery is designed to provide lower output over time to run electrical appliances. The deep cycle battery is designed to run flat and take a charge again, which is why it is used in marine applications (electic boat motor, or aux battery for 12VDC stuff).

If you go to a deep cycle battery you may have trouble starting your truck in cold weather. If you have a lot of 12VDC on your truck, and from the looks of your pic you do, I would advise you to add a deep cycle battery to the system, and install an isolator (JC Whitney 49.95). Tap your draining devices to the aux battery-problem solved.

Quick Reply: Which Optima battery should i buy,Yellow or Red top?