Chokes on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Chokes on acceleration

I have a 2002 F150 with 200.000 miles, 4.6 8Cyl. My truck starts fine, idles great, still has good performance when I get on it. But from time to time it will choke/bog on normal acceleration, If I accelerate hard it will not choke/bog, It has the Triton engine cracked exhaust manifold. It seems more like a trans vacuum problem. I'm wondering if anyone has had this and solved the problem, I've changed the plugs, cleaned the intake manifold, new air filter, new gas filter, regular oil changes. At highway speeds it never chokes/bogs. I've considered the fuel pump and the cracked exhaust manifold. But these don't seem to fit the problem. I bought it with the cracked manifold and never had this problem until about a year ago. I've owned it for five years now. If it was the fuel pump it would do this at all rpms, yes, no maybe. Your thoughts and ideal are appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick Red 150

Old 02-08-2018, 03:17 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
The cracked exhaust manifold can in fact cause issues. The O2 sensor is not doing its job properly when there's an upstream leak.

Have you checked for OBD2 codes?

Old 02-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
glc sounds like he's on to something.

If it's giving O2 sensor readings or vacuum related codes, likely it's pinpointed to the cracked exhaust manifold. It probably cracked more.

Quick Reply: Chokes on acceleration