VMP vs 5startuning for real!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Still need to figure out the tweaks in this thing. MGDfan was prolly right should have put the grand out and went to troyer for dyno.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I didn't live so far away I probably would have just gone right to the dyno. Not that I'm unsatisfied, quite the contrary, time/money spent on the dyno would definitely yield even more performance/driveability/economy.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Couldn't take it anymore and put the 5star 91 tune back in yesterday, big difference and a big smile on my face. Part of me is sad the VMP wasn't better from the start but at least I can say I tried it. Have not decided if it's going to be worth mine and Justin's time sorting his tune out. I have a feeling it will take a few tries and some time consuming note taking and datalogging. In reality it would probably be loss for him financially to sort me out if it takes more than an hour or two since his tune only cost $60.

Still trying to figure it out in my own brain :-)

Maybe I should get on Troyer's wait list?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM
i am in a situation where im still trying to figure out corrections needed for my tunes. iv been i contact with mike trying to work some stuff out and he has had me change some of the self adjustment stuff. The tune still just isnt right. gonna run it a while longer and see what happens before i bother mike again. when i talked to him and he told me the adjustments to make. some of it was way over my head. i guess i just dont understand the tuning process and what does what.

In a nut shell the power and acceleration is good in lower gears but lacks in the later gears. kind of a dead spot after 3rd gear before 4th. Throttle response isnt what i thought it would be. possibly im just expecting to much from a tune in a gas truck. Or i should not have been a cheap *** and got the 93 octane tune and just spend the extra money on fuel.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cheef
Couldn't take it anymore and put the 5star 91 tune back in yesterday, big difference and a big smile on my face. Part of me is sad the VMP wasn't better from the start but at least I can say I tried it. Have not decided if it's going to be worth mine and Justin's time sorting his tune out. I have a feeling it will take a few tries and some time consuming note taking and datalogging. In reality it would probably be loss for him financially to sort me out if it takes more than an hour or two since his tune only cost $60.

Real sorry to hear that. It could be something minor/simple, but, you do need to take the next step. It's included... I sure would've given him a chance...

Good luck.
MGD

Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks MGD. I am still debating. I feel like I might be wasting his time however. I am sure he's a busy guy trying to make a living. I'll give him a call next week when I have a couple of days off, just too busy until then. I was towing yesterday so I wanted the 5star back in since I'd towed with it before and was very pleased.

Fx4rm - As pleased as I was with the 87 tune from 5star the 91 blew it away. If shell sold 93 up here I would have tuned for that. Shell 91 around here is ethanol free which is what I run in my lawn mower, boat, truck and car. I am sure the 93 would have even more snap than 91 that you could feel in yer butt

Your upper gear "flatness" - does it feel like it just runs out of steam or does it feel like it pauses for a while before the shift(s) ? Does the transmission feel sorted or does it get confused like the stock tune? I think the higher octane tunes, with the added timing/fuel/spark, would help the motor rip to it's shift point...could be wrong as I'm not a guru on this stuff.

I think MGD and a few of the other experienced guys could give some solid advice if you gave some detailed info on your issues.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM
I sent Justin at vmp a lengthy message, here is what the postmaster sent back:

postmaster@smileglobal.com

9:07 PM (0 minutes ago)

to me
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at smileglobal.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<justin@vmptuning.com>:
user is over quota

Anyone else experience this? Maybe Justin is on holidays?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Anyone else experience this? Maybe Justin is on holidays?
It's working now as I just sent him an email. Try it again.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 AM

I don't have a tune from Justin, but like MGD states, definitely give him a chance to work on your tune, from what I've read he'll get it working for you the way you like

Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by fx4rm
i am in a situation where im still trying to figure out corrections needed for my tunes. iv been i contact with mike trying to work some stuff out and he has had me change some of the self adjustment stuff. The tune still just isnt right. gonna run it a while longer and see what happens before i bother mike again. when i talked to him and he told me the adjustments to make. some of it was way over my head. i guess i just dont understand the tuning process and what does what.

In a nut shell the power and acceleration is good in lower gears but lacks in the later gears. kind of a dead spot after 3rd gear before 4th. Throttle response isnt what i thought it would be. possibly im just expecting to much from a tune in a gas truck. Or i should not have been a cheap *** and got the 93 octane tune and just spend the extra money on fuel.
Definitely give the 93 tune a try, you may never go back. I did switch back to 87 when fuel prices were (and still are) getting ridiculous, but fuel mileage made me stay with the 93 tune, well that and the power difference between the two

Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 PM
The VMP tune lurched twice on me in first gear, the same as many have complained about with their stock tunes (most refer to it as surging). Once out of first gear the VMP tune is decent. It seems around 2000 rpm in second gear there is an obvious flat spot before the power kicks in again.
I bought my tuner from VMP and love it. I have an 08 V6 by the way with a 5spd...and i too get the surging mostly when starting out or if i am in 1st and hit a bump so my foot isnt steady, in 1st but 1-it did it on the stock tune and 2- when the engine is cold. if i let it warm up for about 2-3 minutes it is usually fine unless its winter then i have to let it warm up more. I noticed a very nice improvement especially being in higher elevation(6800Ft). I can stay with most 5.3L chevys and beat many stock 5.4 fords. I have had my tune for over a year and a half now and havent been back to lower elevation yet so i am really curious how it will do in my old stomping grounds in PA(1500ft). Also so far i have only run the 87 perf tune but also have an 87 econ and 93 performance tune. and i run 87 octane instead of 85 which is for high elevation. i notice a pretty decent difference from 85 to 87.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 AM
I sent an email off to Justin on May 19th but have not heard back. I have forwarded my email again today. I'm a bit surprised how this is unfolding. I'm hoping he is on vacation.

Anyone else heard from him in the past week? Nasty you said you got an email off to him, did he get back?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index..._id=contact_us

Each email address is monitored, but if you do not hear back in 24hrs please email again or call.

Phone hours are Monday through Friday from 9AM to 5PM Eastern Time ONLY 321-206-9369
We are closed for lunch from Noon to 1PM

Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 AM
I sent an email off to Justin on May 19th but have not heard back. I have forwarded my email again today. I'm a bit surprised how this is unfolding. I'm hoping he is on vacation.

Anyone else heard from him in the past week? Nasty you said you got an email off to him, did he get back?
sometimes he takes awhile to respond. He took about a week to respond to an email of mine and i eventually was saying that i hoped he wasnt ignoring me. Keep trying and he will get back to you.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Justin got back to me yesterday and said he would take a look at the tune. I sent him a detailed message regarding the issues I had been experiencing.

I looked at this post from Tarajerame:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/4189723-post8.html

Data logging doesn't look that complicated....or is it?

Quick Reply: VMP vs 5startuning for real!!