Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for advice

So here is the scenario. I purchased a 2007 fx4 with a aftermarket exhaust (wasn't really keen on the exhaust, but I like the truck)

A few months down the road I get a check engine light (P0430 and P0420 faulty catyl convertor)

The service advisor at Ford 'ball parked" the repair at $2500! This is what he wrote on my invoice.

"Customer could go to a performance/speed shop and have a programer installed to ignore catyl convertor monitor sensors."

I am not sure what this means, looking for some advice from you f150 gurus

Thanks
Lee

Last edited by dasher108; 05-28-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Whoa its illegal to run no cats I highly doubt they want you to retune for no cats. You can buy magnaflow cats and have them installed for like $400 I'd guess

Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Whoa its illegal to run no cats I highly doubt they want you to retune for no cats. You can buy magnaflow cats and have them installed for like $400 I'd guess
Below is exactly what my invoice says, I am still unsure what the technician means?

Complaint: Check ingine light is on

Cause: Faulty catyl converters - modified exhaust system (aftermarket)

Correction: verify cell on. eec test P0430 and P0420 pending. Both codes are for catyl converter failure. Vehicle has modified exhaust system - unable to replace factory replacement converter assys- wont fit aftermarket system. Customer could go to a performance/speed shop and have a programer installed to ignore catyl converter monitor sensors.

Advised Customer.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dasher108
Below is exactly what my invoice says, I am still unsure what the technician means?

Complaint: Check ingine light is on

Cause: Faulty catyl converters - modified exhaust system (aftermarket)

Correction: verify cell on. eec test P0430 and P0420 pending. Both codes are for catyl converter failure. Vehicle has modified exhaust system - unable to replace factory replacement converter assys- wont fit aftermarket system. Customer could go to a performance/speed shop and have a programer installed to ignore catyl converter monitor sensors.

Advised Customer.
previous owner might have had a programmer that hat tunes to take care of this.....when he got rid of the truck they probably set the pcm back to stock.....you might want to try and contact the previous owner to see what he was using....

Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under federal law the dealer has to replace your converters if you fall within the 8/80k mileage. If they can prove that the aftermarket exhaust caused the failure then you are screwed. If its not covered or you are out of warranty then just get a set of high flows put on and call it good. Shouldn't be any need to turn off the rear O2 monitor. Might also want to brush up on the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act before going back to the dealer.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by kevhead75
Under federal law the dealer has to replace your converters if you fall within the 8/80k mileage. If they can prove that the aftermarket exhaust caused the failure then you are screwed. If its not covered or you are out of warranty then just get a set of high flows put on and call it good. Shouldn't be any need to turn off the rear O2 monitor. Might also want to brush up on the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act before going back to the dealer.
I actually purchased the truck from a Ford dealer 2 years ago as a 'pre-owned"

Dont know any Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act in Alberta?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Being that you are up north of the border you may have different emissions laws then we have in the states. If you cats are plugged then you should replace them. I would look at the 94106 high flow that many people use and go that route. Should only cost you 3-400$ maybe installed. Factory cats are extremely expensive as you can see from your dealer quote.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by kevhead75
Being that you are up north of the border you may have different emissions laws then we have in the states. If you cats are plugged then you should replace them. I would look at the 94106 high flow that many people use and go that route. Should only cost you 3-400$ maybe installed. Factory cats are extremely expensive as you can see from your dealer quote.

Thanks...

Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor
I run into LOTs of modern high flow cats that still cause P0420/P0430. Id hate to see you do this and still need a tune to disable those codes

Quick Reply: Looking for advice