X3 Problems or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question X3 Problems or Not???

I bought an X3 along with an AF1 intake and custom tunes from TP a while back. I think I'm having problems with the tuner and not the truck. The truck has never ran great with any of the tunes loaded, even with the "canned" tunes. It has always hesitated and felt like there was a vacuum leak. This weekend I cleaned the MAF and throttle body and put the stock filter system back on and returned the PCM back to stock. The truck ran great minus the power the programmer provided. Afterwards, I loaded a "canned" tune and again and does not seem to run correctly. Any suggestions on what this could be and how to correct it? I would hate to have to leave the stock filter system on just so the truck runs like it is suppose to.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 AM
What size motor? What size AF1? I know the 3.5" AF1 causes a big lean issue. You may have already checked but did you look at the PCV valve and the 90 degree PCV elbow below the throttlebody. The reason I ask is I have TP tunes and the AF1 3" and my truck has started running rough at idle but the cause was a hole in that elbow, with the motor running I plugged it with my finger and the idle smoothed right out.

Last edited by 97XL; 05-03-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
As a vet. member, I should know that! Sorry, it is an 05 F150/5.4. I have the 3.5 and I've done everything looking for a vacuum leak with no success with the exception of running a smoke test. If there was a vacuum leak, why would it not do it with the stock filter system and tune? Is it not sucking in enough air to cause the leak maybe?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 AM
glc
Received 766 Likes on 708 Posts
You may have a leak in the intake itself between the MAF and the throttle body. This would be the same thing as a vacuum leak - unmetered air.

Have you contacted Troyer?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I've looked at the intake tube and elbow and could not find anything. The only thing that I could see that might possibly cause the problem would be the nipple that screws into the tube itself.

I have contacted Troyer and waiting a response. Figured I would reach out to the forum while I'm waiting, just like for his tunes!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM
You gotta remember too, I said that even with the stock filter system and "canned" tunes the truck did not seem to run correctly (Hesitation, loss of power on inclines, poor throttle response). With the stock filter system and "stock" tune it seemed to run like new again minus the additional power the programmer provided.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Still waiting on a solution from Troyer!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Once again......try this....

Put it to stock.
Disconnect the battery.
Turn head lights on.
Go do something for awhile....... like clean the interior
Turn head lights off.
Reconnect battery
Since it is not a Gryphon/ edge reload your tune and try it.

Also try datalogging with the one of the custom tunes and send the file to Mike.....

Quick Reply: X3 Problems or Not???