Superchip Flashpaq vs. Diablo Predator

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip Flashpaq vs. Diablo Predator

Alright I am looking at getting a programmer for my 04 5.4L 3V. Its bone stock, no CAI or superchargers. only dual pipes.

Now the question is what are you guys running? Ive be suggested these two from some buddies but i figured id ask my fellow ford pals and get a good opinion.

Pros and cons of each
How hard is it to adjust, custom tune, and can someone with no knowledge with these this work it?
How expensive are custom tunes?
Stock Tune specs

Have at it boys
lets hear what ya'll go to say

Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a SuperChips Flashpaq and have zero issues using it. I currenly run 87 Octane Shell and enjoy the extra bump in power. I currently average 18+ combined driving and 20+ Hiway driving at 70 mph. I plan on switching to 93 Octane and the performance tune my next tank of gas.

There are numerous programmers available. I chose the SuperChips Flashpaq for one reason, I do not need a custom tune.

Do your homework and choose the programmer that best fits your needs.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure neither of those programmers offer custom tunes. They might offer the ability for the user to change some of the parameters, but that's not the same as custom tunes.

When in doubt, download the manuals and study them carefully.

I also suggest you read through the hundreds of threads (especially the sticky at the top) discussing the various hardware platforms, owner's objectives, features, customer support, etc.

If you do, I think you'll see neither of those are the best option for custom tuning.

In a couple of minutes DiabloMike will be along to tell you that the Predator does offer custom tuning for various after market intakes. That in itself is not custom tuning (see the sticky).

Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
I have a SuperChips Flashpaq and have zero issues using it. I currenly run 87 Octane Shell and enjoy the extra bump in power. I currently average 18+ combined driving and 20+ Hiway driving at 70 mph. I plan on switching to 93 Octane and the performance tune my next tank of gas.

There are numerous programmers available. I chose the SuperChips Flashpaq for one reason, I do not need a custom tune.

You have an A/M intake on a 5.4L 3V and you don't need a custom tune?

Hmmmm...

Really?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4283675-post2.html

Well, it's yer truck.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by shotgunz
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure neither of those programmers offer custom tunes. They might offer the ability for the user to change some of the parameters, but that's not the same as custom tunes.

When in doubt, download the manuals and study them carefully.

I also suggest you read through the hundreds of threads (especially the sticky at the top) discussing the various hardware platforms, owner's objectives, features, customer support, etc.

If you do, I think you'll see neither of those are the best option for custom tuning.

In a couple of minutes DiabloMike will be along to tell you that the Predator does offer custom tuning for various after market intakes. That in itself is not custom tuning (see the sticky).
The Predator does offer highly developed tunes for specific intakes, and no, that in itself is not custom tuning, but we DO offer custom tuning. Any CMR tuner can make your F150 do whatever you like.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by NSanderson77
Alright I am looking at getting a programmer for my 04 5.4L 3V. Its bone stock, no CAI or superchargers. only dual pipes.

Now the question is what are you guys running? Ive be suggested these two from some buddies but i figured id ask my fellow ford pals and get a good opinion.

Pros and cons of each
How hard is it to adjust, custom tune, and can someone with no knowledge with these this work it?
How expensive are custom tunes?
Stock Tune specs

Have at it boys
lets hear what ya'll go to say
The Predator, in addition to having preloaded 87, 91 and 93 octane tunes, has different tunes for a few popular CAIs, as well as the ability for the end user to adjust parameters within the tune if you desire.
From simple things like tire size/gear ratio changes, to adjusting spark or fueling at Wide Open Throttle, you have the control. You can also adjust rev and speed limits, shift points, MAF curve adjustment, idle speed, and more.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Shotgunz... I have a 4.6L 2v... I was just letting Nsanderson77 know that I am pleased with my Flashpaq.

And yes, if I had a 5.4L 3v with an aftermarket intake I would be using a custom tune.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM

See sig for mods. I have a 4.6L 2V engine. A 5.4L 3V with A/M intake requires a custom tune.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 09-29-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add content
Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Shotgunz... I have a 4.6L 2v... I was just letting Nsanderson77 know that I am pleased with my Flashpaq.

And yes, if I had a 5.4L 3v with an aftermarket intake I would be using a custom tune.
My bad - sorry!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If those were the only two options out there I would go with a Diablo predator.
Other than that SCT xcal3 with custom tunes is good also.

See Sig for links.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 PM
I have the Diablo Sport Predator and I couldn't be happier with the performance gain. My truck was recently programmed with the 87 octane K & N performance tune and I noticed a huge difference in power delivery and shift times. When I hit the throttle it shifts way quicker into my passing gear and you really feel the HP gain. The Predator DOES offer custom tunes, but I am not currently using one.

It's very easy to tune your truck even without any experience. The user manual tells you step by step what you need to do. When you boot the programmer there is multiple tunes you can select from that are premade. Various tunes for different types of cold air intakes and stock tunes.

There is also an option to set your speedometer for tire/gear changes on your truck which if anyone knows how to do this properly, please tell me!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by BroBro
I have the Diablo Sport Predator and I couldn't be happier with the performance gain. My truck was recently programmed with the 87 octane K & N performance tune and I noticed a huge difference in power delivery and shift times. When I hit the throttle it shifts way quicker into my passing gear and you really feel the HP gain.

Good to hear!

The Predator DOES offer custom tunes, but I am not currently using one.

No it does not. I think you're confusing custom options for custom tunes.

It's very easy to tune your truck even without any experience. The user manual tells you step by step what you need to do. When you boot the programmer there is multiple tunes you can select from that are premade. Various tunes for different types of cold air intakes and stock tunes.

There is also an option to set your speedometer for tire/gear changes on your truck which if anyone knows how to do this properly, please tell me!
Isn't in the manual? Did you try asking Diablo tech support? What specifically do you need help with?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Isn't in the manual? Did you try asking Diablo tech support? What specifically do you need help with?
shotgunz, you are mistaken on our custom tuning capabilities, please stop posting this as if it were fact!!!

We do indeed offer custom tuning. Bolt a blower, 80# injectors, a stroker motor, ported heads and a nasty set of cams on your truck, and bring it to a CMR dealer with your Predator or Trinity, and they can custom tune it to no end. There is no limit to what can be accomplished with CMR and a Predator on any Ford application that we support. Just like SCT, or whatever software is used for the Gryphon.

I hope that clears it up for you

Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by BroBro

If you are running non stock tires, divide the tire height by 20168, and that gives you the 'revs per mile' to enter under tire size.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by DiabloMike
If you are running non stock tires, divide the tire height by 20168, and that gives you the 'revs per mile' to enter under tire size.

Thanks
Thanks man, I am running 33" Toyo M/T's so my Speedometer is off by an average of 6 mph.

Quick Reply: Superchip Flashpaq vs. Diablo Predator