best plug in programmer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best plug in programmer...

I am looking for a good programmer for my F150. I dont want an edge or gryphon because of the "stealership"....I want it to be some what stealth.

any recomendations? I will be running an Intake, or gotts, and an MBRP exhaust system...

thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by f150newf
I am looking for a good programmer for my F150. I dont want an edge or gryphon because of the "stealership"....I want it to be some what stealth.

any recomendations? I will be running an Intake, or gotts, and an MBRP exhaust system...

thanks
if youre gonna go with a programmer, you might as well go with the edge,you can reset it back to stock before you take it back to the dealership.if you go to the search option and research the edge, or gryphon you'll see that it is the way to go!why settle for some "el cheapo" programmer? (that can void your warranty also?) IN EDGE WE TRUST!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It really doesn't matter what programmer you get they all leave a "footprint" on the pcm. Only dealers that are jerks are going to void warranties. Bill at php is working on a solution to the problem of the "footprint". The only reason dealerships want to point the finger at tuners is they are an easy target, when they really know its their problem.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

thanks
You apparently do not understand how the Edge, Gryphon, Xcal 3 or any other tuner functions. You really need to do some reading in the tuner section. A dealership can mess you up with any tuner in two or three ways. The only differences between the Edge/Gryphon and the other tuners is that it has a monitor that is easily removed.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I have the edge, k&n and the MBRP XP SI/SO and I run the Gryphon programmer on my truck and it is excellent.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
You apparently do not understand how the Edge, Gryphon, Xcal 3 or any other tuner functions. You really need to do some reading in the tuner section. A dealership can mess you up with any tuner in two or three ways. The only differences between the Edge/Gryphon and the other tuners is that it has a monitor that is easily removed.
He's a Newf. You can't expect him to understand

Joking f150newf

Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Go **** yourself last 5.doh!

just joking of course...

The thing is the dealer would probably not do anything but having that module on the dash would set off alarms...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Global Moderator &

just joking of course...

The thing is the dealer would probably not do anything but having that module on the dash would set off alarms...
Then take it off of the dash when you go. Takes about 30 seconds. The point being made is that the program in the PCM is the problem and there is no way of hiding that with any tuner.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM

just joking of course...

That's why you remove it prior to going to the dealer.

It takes all of 3 minutes to do.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Here's something for you you guys to naw at, there are some dealers that do carry edge on their shelves. Now if they put it on your truck does it still void warranties?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 88racing
Here's something for you you guys to naw at, there are some dealers that do carry edge on their shelves. Now if they put it on your truck does it still void warranties?
That has been discussed. Some dealer will sell it to you and tell you it voids the warranty, while others will warranty it. You have to ask the dealer.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM

That has been discussed. Some dealer will sell it to you and tell you it voids the warranty, while others will warranty it. You have to ask the dealer.
I know it has been discussed I was just trying to show that dealers can be two-faced about anything that they want to. Sorry I didn't emphasize that in that post. If you "ask" and they say its covered get something in writing from the dealer selling it to you.

Last edited by 88racing; 05-05-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 PM
ok, so if I had a Superchips programmer for example...and put the stock tune back in...they would still be able to see that it has been tampered with...

Old 05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Global Moderator &

ok, so if I had a Superchips programmer for example...and put the stock tune back in...they would still be able to see that it has been tampered with...
Ford provides them with a program that reads all activity in the PCM

Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Ford provides them with a program that reads all activity in the PCM
Now what if you took your truck to an independent shop they read and cleared the codes but you still were having problems. The independant tells you sorry he can't fix them and you will have to bring it to a dealer(2 hours away). So you bring it in and they see "questionable" activity on the pcm. Can they deem it a "no warranty" issue? Just from activity from a scan tool. Or does the program read a lot more from the pcm?

Quick Reply: best plug in programmer...