Powerdyne supercharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerdyne supercharger kit

What you guys think about putting a supercharger on my 150?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Suspended
Who cares what we think, DO IT IF YOUR COOL!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Lol I wonder if I would have to change the gears or anything?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Suspended
Depends on how you use the truck. Right now you are probly rolling 3.55 or 3.73. You know that thing will be a street queen if it is'nt already.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I never take it off road. Its a street queen already.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What’s up glcash

Do you already got the kit and are you going to do the install yourself? Go for it I want’ a SC too, big time

Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Suspended
It'd be a very good idea to re-gear the vehicle. Regardless of having the supercharger though.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
hopefully it won't make your motor look like a Chevy LT1 once you put it on though.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Personally, i'd prefer a whipple. Though i don't care for water-air intercoolers. If it doesn't have an intercooler, seriously consider a different system. Your ability to create power and reliability are enhanced by cooler temperatures. Remember, a blower/turbo creates more heat in the engine bay, and heat is the enemy of every freakin thing under the hood. That said, self contained chargers are pretty handy. It's all your choice, and i'm sure the price is pretty good compared to other kits. Either way, it's a great upgrade.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by 05F150SCrew
If it doesn't have an intercooler, seriously consider a different system.
The need for charge cooling really depends on the boost level being run, at the 5-8 lb range a lot of base kits are set up for there is limited benefit compared to cost. If/when you crank the boost level up it becomes more beneficial, but you can always just add a methanol injection kit for ~$250 instead of a cooler for $1000-$1500.....

That being said, Powerdynes of the past had a high failure rate and a terrible reputation with Mustang owners. I have no idea if they've raised the quality level by any significant amount, but personally I wouldn't touch them simply because they ripped a lot of people off and wouldn't stand behind the product.....

Old 04-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01Roush
The need for charge cooling really depends on the boost level being run, at the 5-8 lb range a lot of base kits are set up for there is limited benefit compared to cost. If/when you crank the boost level up it becomes more beneficial, but you can always just add a methanol injection kit for ~$250 instead of a cooler for $1000-$1500.....

That being said, Powerdynes of the past had a high failure rate and a terrible reputation with Mustang owners. I have no idea if they've raised the quality level by any significant amount, but personally I wouldn't touch them simply because they ripped a lot of people off and wouldn't stand behind the product.....
I'm not sure why I'm always sticking up for Powerdyne, but here I am. I had one, and it worked pretty well.
The problem is that people who own them want more boost ( don't we all? ), and spin them beyond their design limits. So, the manufacturer would be justified in denying warranty claims if that is the case.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
The problem is that people who own them want more boost ( don't we all? ), and spin them beyond their design limits.
So a couple grand for a blower that can't put out more than a very moderate boost level without becoming unreliable is a good idea? Early on they were failing without being pushed too...

So, the manufacturer would be justified in denying warranty claims if that is the case.
I had one fail twice under normal use, a friend had one fail several times, I've seen tons of others on the 'net with problems, etc... The internal belt drive was and possibly still is a poor design. Even if they've completely fixed it I still wouldn't support a company that screwed over so many people.... I'd MUCH rather pick up a used s-trim or Novi than a new Powerdyne.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure why I'm always sticking up for Powerdyne, but here I am. I had one, and it worked pretty well.
You answered your own question. You had a good experience with a product and endorse it as such.

Originally Posted by 01Roush
I had one fail twice under normal use
Please supply pertinent information such as the vehicle it was installed on, when you used it, and how many miles to failure. Also, just to clarify, was this the same unit failing twice, or a replacement failing the second time?

As for the OP 'glcash'; please keep us updated as to whether or not you follow through with this upgrade, and how it turns out. Best of luck!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:29 PM
The problem is that people who own them want more boost ( don't we all? ), and spin them beyond their design limits. So, the manufacturer would be justified in denying warranty claims if that is the case.
i had a budy who was just like you. on the mustang forum all the time standing up for powerdyne because his worked great. everyone told him it wont last but he refused to believe it. one day he was driving home from vegas and the impeller exploded sending parts of the supercharger into his motor. it was a bone stock motor with 8psi of boost. powerdyne still has a ****y rep with the mustang crowd. if you want a centrifical blower, look into vortech or procharger and see if they make a kit for your truck. or do what i did, i got sick of the vortech on my stang and went twin turbo

Old 05-03-2008, 12:43 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll vouch for Procharger. So far so good. I has been almost a year now.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Powerdyne supercharger kit