2005 f250 4x4 w/5.4L programmer help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 f250 4x4 w/5.4L programmer help

Yea, I know, why get a Super Duty F250 4x4 with a 5.4L. The bank had it as a repo and I got it for a steal.......with that said however,,,,,,,
On my 2003 f150 with 4.6L, I got the Super Chips programmer and the Air Force 1 intake kit. A year later I am still amazed at the difference it made.
My delima now is finding the same set up for the F250. Super Chips does make a programmer but it does not have the shift point change option. The only change from factory I have made thus far is a Flow Master cat back exhaust.
What options are available for the F250 4x4 with 5.4L. It has an auto tranny with 3.73 gears.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a 2006 F250 w/ the 5.4L and 3.73 gears. I installed custom tunes from Troyer Performance. They seem to have adjusted the shift points somewhat. The biggest difference is at WOT and when it downshifts going up a hill. Before, the downshift mostly maintained my speed. With the tunes, going up the same hills I slightly pick up speed. TP claims up to 35 hp (I think) for the F250 and when you figure the weight difference over an F150, you don't feel as much of a seat of the pants difference as they do. But there is definitely a difference!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by BumperB
I have a 2006 F250 w/ the 5.4L and 3.73 gears. I installed custom tunes from Troyer Performance. They seem to have adjusted the shift points somewhat. The biggest difference is at WOT and when it downshifts going up a hill. Before, the downshift mostly maintained my speed. With the tunes, going up the same hills I slightly pick up speed. TP claims up to 35 hp (I think) for the F250 and when you figure the weight difference over an F150, you don't feel as much of a seat of the pants difference as they do. But there is definitely a difference!
Glad to hear you are pleased. What tunes do you have and what are you currently running? I have mine on order.

To the OP: I think the only intake is an AirRaid Jr. From what little I've been able to find, for my truck I decided on a TP X-Cal II.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Nothin' wrong w/5.4l in a Super Duty... I have one and it runs great.

I have an XCal2 w/Troyer tunes on order now and will let you know how it goes when I get them installed.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:42 AM
TP tunes

I ordered the 87 performance, 93 performance, and 93 tow. I have only ran the 93 tunes. I am currently running the 93 tow but will be switching to the performance tonight.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:37 PM
I ordered the 87 performance, 93 performance, and 93 tow. I have only ran the 93 tunes. I am currently running the 93 tow but will be switching to the performance tonight.

Do you feel it was worth it? I have an 87 tune and a 91 tow and perfomance ordered, as 93 is not generally available here. I was hoping it would provide a more noticeable performance increase than what you are indicating.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
35 ponies is 35 xtra ponies. I am not looking to burn the tires off but mostly the extra punch for passing. I do some towing (28' travel trailer) but barely even know it is back there now.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 PM
yes worth it

Yeah it was worth it. I definitely felt more by adding it than the magnaflow exhaust and airraid jr. combined and it was a couple hundred $ cheaper. It just is not as noticeable as the F150 guys claim because of the weight difference. Don't misunderstand me. I would definitely buy it again. These trucks with the 5.4L need all the help they can get. I think Mike and the entire TP staff do a good job. I am looking forward to dyno it so I can really see what I gained. The F250 w/ the tunes now feels like it runs as good as my 2001 F150 w/ the 5.4L did which makes me happy!

Last edited by BumperB; 10-26-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by kellydown_84
35 ponies is 35 xtra ponies. I am not looking to burn the tires off but mostly the extra punch for passing. I do some towing (28' travel trailer) but barely even know it is back there now.
You barely know a 28' TT is there. Your truck must run better than mine. I have pulled a 33' Fifth Wheel and I damn sure knew it was there, like an anchor tied to a 12' X 8' sail.
I know 35 horses is 35 horses, just wanted clarification on his feelings on the tuner as I have one on the way. Just for my own peace of mind.
I felt and still feel one of the best performance mods for these is a TP X-Cal. Now gotta see if an Air Force One will come out for them, if not I guess electric fans are next.
Hell, I thought I was the only fool to purchase an F-250 with the 5.4.

Last edited by Shuler; 10-27-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah it was worth it. I would definitely buy it again.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.

These trucks with the 5.4L need all the help they can get.
Yeah, no s**t. That's what I thought.

The F250 w/ the tunes now feels like it runs as good as my 2001 F150 w/ the 5.4L did which makes me happy!
Awsome, looking forwrd to getting mine. I gotta stop reading this dang forum, it is not making the wait any easier to take.
Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:08 PM
These trucks do need all the help they can get; hell 3.73 gears and it won't spin the tires on ice and passing is okay if you have a couple of miles to get a run at it. What kicks my azz is the gas mileage. Mine is a super-cab 4X4 with a Leer shell on the bed. Lots of weight for a 5.4L, even as good as they are. The BEST mpg I get is 12 and that is highway. City mpg is single digit.
Does the Xcal seem to help much with mileage?

Old 10-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by kellydown_84
These trucks do need all the help they can get; hell 3.73 gears and it won't spin the tires on ice and passing is okay if you have a couple of miles to get a run at it. What kicks my azz is the gas mileage. Mine is a super-cab 4X4 with a Leer shell on the bed. Lots of weight for a 5.4L, even as good as they are. The BEST mpg I get is 12 and that is highway. City mpg is single digit.
Does the Xcal seem to help much with mileage?
Mine usually gets 12 to 13.5 depending on how I drive it. Mostly town it is closer to 12 or lower. Mix town and highway runs about 13.5, but that through some hilly terrain which just kills it due to crappy low RPM torque.
On a recent trip to WY from TX the worst was from Denver to Douglas at 11.9 when I just set the cruise at 80 and let her scream up the hills. Other that that it varied from 14.7 to 15.9 there and back.
These numbers are with me babying the crap out of it, doing everything I can to get better mileage, with the exception of one time I just went ahead and drove it fairly hard, mostly town and got 9.5.
I'll let you know how the tuner affects my mileage, hopefully it will get here in time for me to post results prior to your descision.
I hope to get at least enough better mileage to cover the increased cost of 91 over 87. If it will do that, along with increased performance, I'll be pleased.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, the SuperDuty 5.4's gain even more power from our tuning than the F-150's do, because the SuperDuty trucks cannot go open loop from the factory. Now of course, due to their additional weight, they don't' "feel" quite as lively as the F-150's with our tuning do in the seat of the pants, but the actual increase in power is a bit more in the SuperDuty's due to us making them go open loop where they couldn't from the factory.

And by the way - you would be surprised at how many SuperDuty 5.4's we tune, we do a good number of them all the time - a lot of people got good deals on them and need the additional power, so while we don't' tune as many of the 250's as we do the F-150's of course, we still tune a good number of them, and they respond well

It all gets down to total power versus weight, and the F-250 is heavier - that does not negate the value of the tuning, however.

I hope that brief FYI info helps a bit,

Old 10-31-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
Actually, the SuperDuty 5.4's gain even more power from our tuning than the F-150's do, because the SuperDuty trucks cannot go open loop from the factory. Now of course, due to their additional weight, they don't' "feel" quite as lively as the F-150's with our tuning do in the seat of the pants, but the actual increase in power is a bit more in the SuperDuty's due to us making them go open loop where they couldn't from the factory.

And by the way - you would be surprised at how many SuperDuty 5.4's we tune, we do a good number of them all the time - a lot of people got good deals on them and need the additional power, so while we don't' tune as many of the 250's as we do the F-150's of course, we still tune a good number of them, and they respond well

It all gets down to total power versus weight, and the F-250 is heavier - that does not negate the value of the tuning, however.

I hope that brief FYI info helps a bit,

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait. Just wanted some first hand info. Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for the same characteristics of an F-150 or a PSD, just more than what it has. I have no doubts I'll get it.

I know there are many out there, just don't see them much.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Does the xcal also have shift point adjustment? The studying I have done, in addition to the information you gentlemen have given, have me leaning heavily towards the xcal. Also, Mike: what intake system would you suggest? I understand the newer 5.4L have problems leaning out.

Quick Reply: 2005 f250 4x4 w/5.4L programmer help