Diablo Predator On 05 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablo Predator On 05 5.4

OK, I have a 05 f-150 with a 5.4. I also have the diablo predator. I mainly purchased this so I could adjust the speedo. I am not that impressed with this tuner. I did a search and tons of things came up for the diablo. Am I just not tuning this think right or is it just a OK tuner. I am in the market for a custom tuner that I can adjust myself. Any ideas. AGAIN I KNOW THERE ARE TONS OF THREADS ON THIS AND I DID DO A SEARCH, BUT I AM LOOKING FOR SOME HELP HERE. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-14-2006, 03:37 PM
The two that seem to be most touted in here are the Edge Products Evolution and the Troyer performance Xcal2. The edge has built in gauges etc, the troyer is adjusted for you by Mike Troyer. The edge is currently $100 or so cheaper and available immediately, the Troyer takes 6 weeks but is what some refer to as a 'custom' tune (others disagree), then with the Xcal installed you pay for a dyno session ..have some datalogging done and he emails you your finished tune. From what I've read in here, the troyer may be faster (reported 6.5 second 0-60 while the best Edge I've seen photo of was 6.68). Canyonslicker did a back to back test, said he preferred the Xcal2. Josiah says his Xcal has been disappointing. Everyone has their own opinion..there is no clear cut winner in this area and it gets rather fired up in discussion.

I think I've represented all of that as accurately as could be wished though I'm sure there will be some who are offended or something (try Midol). Read all of the recent posts in here on each programmer and make your own call is about the best I can advise.

Bill

Old 01-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Well put billindenver. Everyone has their own opinions about what tuner is better, etc. I'm sure, Indiana-red4x4, that you won't be dissapointed with either of these tuners. Have fun...

Old 01-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an XCal2 and I am extremely satisfied with the results of my custom tunes done by Troyer Performance. I have an 87-octane performance, 93-octane tow preferred and a 93-octane performance. There is end user adjustability built into the XCal2 but I find no reason to change anything, everything is good. Knowledge is key, so do your research but IMO the XCal2 loaded with Mike’s custom tunes rules the roost

Old 01-14-2006, 08:42 PM
OK, I have a 05 f-150 with a 5.4. I also have the diablo predator. I mainly purchased this so I could adjust the speedo. I am not that impressed with this tuner.
I have both a predator and now an edge and honestly, if you are disappointed with the predator, I wouldn't be expecting any real noticable performance gains by switching. I haven't run any testing yet to compare, but seat of the pants testing isn't showing any real noticable differences. I got the edge for the benefits of the guages which I wanted for towing. As for the Xcal2, I read that out of the box it isn't any better, and with the TP tunes in it, it is improved. I have yet to see some dyno curves though proving its absolute "superiority" over everything else like some on here like to claim, so take that for what it is.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all of the reply's guys, keep em coming.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:11 PM
EDGE Question

Hey nvrenuff and billindenver
Can you easily reinstall stock flash and remove the Edge completely for Warrenty work? Been reading the posts for a couple weeks and haven't seen it addressed. I'm not looking for a race truck, just some help for when I have the truck loaded down. I'm a fan of EGT gages and I understand that that a lot of the 06's run on the edge of lean so EGT is a must. Just worried about Warrenty Work without a hassel. Thanks

Old 01-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You can reinstall the stock programming with both the Edge and the Xcal2. In both cases it is an easy process.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I have had both the Edge tuner and the TP tuned Xcal2. I used a Gtech to get acceleration numbers for both tuners and out of the box the Xcal2 provided significantly higher gains. Since these trucks tend to run toward the lean side from the factory, I really hesitate to recommend a tuner that doesn't address this issue. Having had both, my recommendation is to go with the Xcal2. You won't be dissapointed.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Aaron_j
You can reinstall the stock programming with both the Edge and the Xcal2. In both cases it is an easy process.
Thanks Aaron_j

Old 01-15-2006, 01:02 AM
I used a Gtech to get acceleration numbers for both tuners and out of the box the Xcal2 provided significantly higher gains
Not out of the box, out of the box and then Troyer tuned, correct? A standard tune from an xcal2 is a generic one fits all isn't it?

Old 01-15-2006, 02:31 AM
That is how I understand it as well. In the case of Troyer tunes, he is putting his settings into the adjustable parameters of the Xcal2 that he buys from SCT. There are other tuners doing the same thing with the Xcal2, some of which I have seen referenced here. The tunes are 'custom' because the values they input into the canned units are values that do not come in them as 'stock' tunes. Along the same lines of my buying an Edge unit, changing the WOT fuel to 1.8, shift points to 5400, tire size etc etc..and then selling that Edge to you. I could then call it a custom tune..because I had changed the values for you...and charged you for doing so. Not to say that there isn't a value placed on taking the time to learn which values give the desired performance (so no I am not wanting to fire up the Troyer Trojans again). Then, datalogging on a dyno payed for by the customer yields results that dictate the final tune tweak, and you are done.

By out of the box, he was referring to the tune as it comes from Troyer..already tweaked. On the other hand, out of the box from edge is not yet tweaked..and requires the end user to do some fiddling should he want to wring out that last bit of performance. That can be done by playing on the street (not to difficult with the combined wisdom in here), but would be easier and ultimately safer on a dyno like Troyer recommends. Only instead of having MT tweak your unit, you do so yourself right there on the spot. I'm sure that would yield very nice results, but personally I find the edge tunes with a little tweaking produce a very nice result..without having to push the envelope to the last degree by dyno testing.

Someone correct me if I am mistaken in any way.

Bill

Old 01-15-2006, 06:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The XCal2 ships blank, nothing installed, and has to be loaded with custom tunes from the dealer of your choice. This info is clearly stated on the SCT web page.

TP does all his custom tunes from scratch specifically for each individuals personal needs and preferences. It’s not one size fits all

Last edited by jpdadeo; 01-24-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=jpdadeo]The XCal2 ships blank, nothing installed, and has to be loaded with custom tunes from the dealer of your choice. This info is clearly stated on the SCT web page.

This seems to be correct. SCT has come out with a new XCal SF (Strategy Flash) that has preloaded tunes. From what I read on the SCT website it is basically an XCal 2 with preloaded tunes. I believe it has about the same end user adjustability as the Edge or XCal 2. I looked at this before I purchased my Edge. Call me stupid, but I really wanted a canned tune that I could change parameters on myself. At the time I did not think that the XCal 2 had this ability, I now see from many posts that it does. The reason I did not pursue the XCal SF was that I could not find many user(F150) opinions on it.

I honestly would have purchased the TP tuned XCal 2 if it would have come with the tuning file. I still do not understand why it doesn't (maybe even for a small extra charge)? Everything I have read says the tune is custom to each truck, options, and customer.....if this is true what is the risk of sending out the file? No one else would get the same benefit from it? What am I missing? Also I did not like the idea of sending it back after datalogging, I am not even sure you have to.........some say it can be emailed .........others say different. And I have not seen it mentioned about datalogging a second time.........shouldn't that be done to make sure what ever changes were made from the first datalogging and adjustments got the desired affects to performance and engine safety? These were all concerns that I had.....justified or not.

I went with the Edge tuner, partially an impulse buy partially because of the display options. So far I have been very happy with the unit. It has all of the perfomance and options that I need, and from what I hear will be getting more with future updates.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by billindenver
That is how I understand it as well. In the case of Troyer tunes, he is putting his settings into the adjustable parameters of the Xcal2 that he buys from SCT. There are other tuners doing the same thing with the Xcal2, some of which I have seen referenced here. The tunes are 'custom' because the values they input into the canned units are values that do not come in them as 'stock' tunes. Along the same lines of my buying an Edge unit, changing the WOT fuel to 1.8, shift points to 5400, tire size etc etc..and then selling that Edge to you. I could then call it a custom tune..because I had changed the values for you...and charged you for doing so. Not to say that there isn't a value placed on taking the time to learn which values give the desired performance (so no I am not wanting to fire up the Troyer Trojans again). Then, datalogging on a dyno payed for by the customer yields results that dictate the final tune tweak, and you are done.

By out of the box, he was referring to the tune as it comes from Troyer..already tweaked. On the other hand, out of the box from edge is not yet tweaked..and requires the end user to do some fiddling should he want to wring out that last bit of performance. That can be done by playing on the street (not to difficult with the combined wisdom in here), but would be easier and ultimately safer on a dyno like Troyer recommends. Only instead of having MT tweak your unit, you do so yourself right there on the spot. I'm sure that would yield very nice results, but personally I find the edge tunes with a little tweaking produce a very nice result..without having to push the envelope to the last degree by dyno testing.

Someone correct me if I am mistaken in any way.

Bill
My suggestion to you is to do a little research and find out the FACTS before spreading misinformation. Maybe even be man enough to pick up the phone and talk to Troyer yourself.

This isn't coming from a "Troyer Trojan" or any other cute names you want to come up with. This comes from a Troyer customer, and former Edge owner.

BTW, what are your A/Fs at WOT?

Quick Reply: Diablo Predator On 05 5.4