PCM re-learn shifting after every re-tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PCM re-learn shifting after every re-tune?

Just yesterday I received my package from Troyer Performance: A 1745 Superchips MAX Microtuner. I've been searching & reading alot of this tuner (mostly reading about the 1714). However, there is one question that I can't find the answer to...

I know that the PCM must "re-learn" the shifting pattern after the PCM's memory is cleared. So does this mean that it must go through this "re-learn" process EVERY TIME that I select a different or modified tune? Example; If I usually run on 91 High Perf tune, but then I want to tow my travel trailer, so I change to 91 Tow tune. After I change to Tow tune, should I wait a few hundred miles before I actual tow the trailer, so that it will give the PCM time to learn shift patterns again?

If the answer is YES it must re-learn after each re-tune, then I would guess that it's not a good idea to change tunes very often, right? Or for that matter, even to modify an existing tune. Right?? Wrong??

Old 06-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know the same if anyone can help! Buler anyone, anyone!

Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you switch between tunes, you can use them right away. The tow-preferred tune has the shift points and shift characteristics built into the tune, they all do. The only thing the adaptive strategy learns is your personal driving habits, you know, lead-foot, feather-foot that sort of stuff.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi bamorris2,

jpdadeo's post was right on the money - no, you do NOT have to wait to start towing when you change tunes like that.

Adaptive simply "learns" a little bit about how you drive the vehicle most frequently over the past few thousand miles and makes relatively minor adjustments, that's all - yes, every time you flash the PCM you DO clear out adaptive strategy, so we do sometimes see that the transmission may shift a bit softer or harder than normal for the first couple of hundred miles, for example - same thing that happens if you disconnect the battery, by the way.

But it's just not an issue when you change between tunes, so don't worry about that - you can just load up the tune you need for however you want to use your vehicle and then go tow (or whatever) right away, with no delay!

Thanks for your order & your post, & enjoy your new 1745!

PS - I think you had another post, if memory serves, that I responded to just briefly (that is, if I didn't confuse you with someone else) - anyway, I put a response up in that other thread where I think it was you that also asked about the shift points & firmness levels compared to the "Superchips" settings - and I talked briefly about making sure to also use the SEARCH feature here too, for tips on how to set up those "MAX" series Micro Tuners.

Quick Reply: PCM re-learn shifting after every re-tune?