4.6 stock horsepower? HP After Chip??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 stock horsepower? HP After Chip??

Does anyone know the stock horsepower for the 04 f150 supercab? I purchased one due to somewhat better gas milage (I really don't know if i just took it up the backend with decreased power)... but anyways, I want to know if I chipped it, would it be able to play with the stock 5.4?

How much of an increase in horsepower and torque will i see with a chip?

Would getting it supercharged be a waste of money? I have a freind in the business that can get me a kit for roughly 1500 new.... I just dont know if it'd be a great waste on a 4.6.

Please Help!!!!

After seeing that video of the dodge bein smoked, I want to do some playing of my own!!

pics of my truck:
22's, limo tint, no pics of the shackle job yet....
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=5107

Old 01-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock HP is 231 - and we'll gain anywhere from 21-26+ HP after tuning on that 4.6 2V, depending on just what type of program we supply you with.

No, generally speaking, you will NOT be able to keep up with a 300 HP 5.4 3V F-150 in the 1/4 mile with tuning being the only mod, as you'll still have significantly less power - BUT - you WOULD have a much higher top speed than a stock 5.4 3V 300 JP F-150, because your top speed limiter of 99 mph would be removed, so you could go faster on the top end.

Now in the older trucks where the 5.4 was a 2-valve motor and made 260 HP stock, you *could* keep up with a stock 5.4 F-150 with just our tuning in a 4.6 - the power would be very close, and with all the other changes that also help improve performance in our custom tuning, you could generally keep up with a 5.4 2V stock F-150.

By the way - I seriously doubt you can get any new supercharger setup for that vehicle for just $1500 - not one that will work properly and be safe - not unless someone is going to sell it at a HUGE loss. In the new body style trucks with *any* engine, you cannot just slap on a cheap centrifugal blower and run an FMU as is typically done by many supercharger manufacturers (unfortunately) on the 1997-2003 F-150's - and that's most likely what your friend is probably thinking of. Your truck is much different than previous F-150's as it has a full electronic returnless fuel system and you will need to do it right for these newest trucks - which means at a minimum, more MAF meter and custom tuning which would also have to remap the electronic returnless injection system to supply much higher pressure to the stock 19# injectors, which would add more cost - and I really don't like that method (that would work OK with 24# injectors, but I don't like that with 19# units) - you should really have larger fuel injectors as well as more MAF meter capacity and some other things. In short, you're not going to get a *proper ans safe* supercharger kit for $1500 for the new body style trucks even thru a friend selling it to you at wholesale cost, not even the cheapest units, which are the Powerdyne centrifugals - which, by the way, don't upgrade anything else on the vehicle properly - they don't even upgrade the fuel pump! Not the injectors, not the MAF meter, there's no tuning, and isn't even intercooled, either in the Powerdyne kits. Not the way to go unless you're going to add the other things that are needed and pay more. Just FYI..............

Now is a *good* properly designed supercharger kit worthwhile? Absolutely YES! You'll gain an easy 100+ HP, and that's nothing to sneeze at, that would take you to 330 HP (in round numbers) with no other changes. But it's going to cost significantly more than any $1500 to do it correctly and safely.

Regarding fuel economy - going with the 231 HP 4.6 2V instead of the 300 HP 5.4 3V in these new & much heavier trucks is generally not going to get you better fuel mileage - in some cases it will actually be worse, as you have significantly less power and a LOT less torque, especially in the lower rpm ranges as compared to the 5.4 3V motors - so the 5.4 3V would in most cases get you better fuel mileage, too. Now you *might* see slightly better fuel economy with the 4.6 if you were say, taking a trip on the highway where you could set the cruise control at 65 MPH and leave it there, *and* it was on flat terrain so you didn't have much downshifting, etc. going on - in *that* kind of scenario you might do a little bit better than a 5.4 3V would. But in many other scenarios, the 5.4 3V would usually do at least as well, if not a little bit better as it has much more torque, especially at lower rpms, and wouldn't have to work as hard. Funny how that works sometimes. But don't sweat it, you have a beautiful new truck there, with *plenty* of potential!

There are plenty of things you can do to improve *both* your trucks performance and it's fuel mileage - drop by our web site and take a look at all the things that are available - everything you see there for the 1997-2003's is available for your 2004 4.6 as well, so there is literally no limit to what can be done to that vehicle - if you wanted it to run 12-second 1/4 mile times, we can make that happen for you, for example. All it takes is money!

The place to start on your truck would be with our custom tuning - that will get you the best bang for the buck. Then next would be our Air Force One intake kit for that 2004 4.6, and then next would be a good cat-back exhaust. Then our underdrive pulleys, our electric fan kit, larger throttle body, headers, and on and on - there's no end to what can be done to that truck to improve it's power & performance, and still get decent MPG, too.

Feel free to give us a call to go over any of this in more detail, our number is listed below & we can help you with doing your mods in the order of best bang for the buck, etc., as we specialize in the performance of these trucks.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Mike...... is....... God......

And I did talk with my buddy.... and he was waaaaay off. He assumed that they just changed the body and didnt make any significant engine changes. Thanks mike for pointing this out. I now have some shtuff to throw at him.

As for the 5.4, 4.6 business... I figured i was going to take that in the crotch as well.... Part of me wants to trade in and try and get a 5.4, but then again, I'm not out to race everyone and their mom, (which, in my case, I'll prob. get beat by her) But I do want some significant.. OMMMPPPHHHH, and the price loss will, once again, kick me in the pants.

You'll be getting a call from me within the next few weeks..... Hellllooooo tax refund! Hellllooooo Xcalibrator! haha. I'm excited. With all this talk of custom tunes and what nots, I can't wait to get one on my truck and see for myself. Thanks again Mike.

Last edited by Merek3CS; 01-19-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Well, your friend was right about that in some ways - he was just a little bit off in some other ways, and in this case they happen to make a difference - no harm, no foul, I'm sure he's a nice guy.

The 4.6 motor *itself* is not different in your 2004 from the way it's been since 2001 in these trucks - but it's fuel system and it's powertrain management are both *very* different, and that's the key element here regarding a supercharger. So he was right about the motor itself, just not the fuel & control systems.

Don't trade it in, not unless Ford offers some $5000 or better rebate on a 2005 for you, as you'll take it up the wazoo on trade-in loss - you know how that goes. Besides, there's enough potential in that 4.6 to make the vehicle enjoyable to drive for now.

What you might want to do is just a few simple bolt-ons, and just hang on to it for a year or two - then if you come across a gently used 2004 F-150 with the 5.4 value motor, or a great rebate/financing rate comes along so you can do a trade in without really getting hurt too bad financially, *then* maybe that might work for you - just a suggestion.

Best of luck whatever you decide, & we look forward to working with you!

Old 01-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Mike-

Just wanted to let you know that from these two posts, you've just gained a lifelong customer. Not only am I impressed that you took your time to give me those numbers, but the fact that it was so informative. You know your shiz.... need I say more.

Thanks again. You'll be getting a call in a few.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Merek,

All of us with the 4.6L would be in sad shape if it wasn't for Mike and his team. I think the big difference from Troyer Performance and the "REST" is....TP cares about their customers.

Even though I have never spoken to the man ( I usually talk to Anita, and she is awesome!!), I get the feeling that he cares, ya know? Just from reading his post on this forum and the time he dedicates to responding to each individual is impressive, considering the limited amount of it that he has.

I am typically a good judge of character and I think I have the folks at TP pegged.

They have my buisiness also!

Can't wait for my AF1 Cold Air Intake to get here!! Next....XCalibrator!!

Old 01-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Thank you both very much for your kind words - they are appreciated more than you know.

The reality is, it's easy for us to *say* things - but it's much harder to actually live up to, and we can only hope that we manage to live up to our words with our *deeds*.

Thanks & have a great weekend!

Old 01-21-2005, 05:59 PM
JHL
Yes you can keep up with the 5.4!

Merek:

I have had an original Superchips blue chip since my truck was a month old, a 1998.

I cannot tell you how much HP it added, but I can tell you that you CAN feel the difference! The old farts around here say that: "if you can feel it, it was at least 10% increase." That being true would mean in the area of 20-22.5 additional HP.

My buddy has the identical truck to mine except he didnt buy into the "Better milage" crap as we did. We make an annual fishing trip to the high Sierra's, and fully loaded I still pull away from him on the hills! He says he has his floored! And I still had some room to go before my foot went thru the floorboard!

That was all the proof I ever needed!

ANother side note...
Here in CA we must run through a smog check every two years. And each year the smog check station remarks how clean my truck runs compared to other similar ones they see.

From what I understand, the newer SC microtuners are the ticket, as you can easily return to the stock program in case a dealer visit is necessary!

Hope this helps you!

Old 01-22-2005, 03:48 PM
After seeing that video of the dodge bein smoked, I want to do some playing of my own!! WHERE CAN I SEE THIS VIDEO?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2005, 11:41 PM
MAF

04 F-150 section, currently page 7. look for HEMI vs 04 F-150 (video) not sure if it's still viewable as we crashed his bandwidth.

Scott

Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Programmer,exhaust,gotts mod,electric fan and pulleys you're looking at about 290hp. In the spring I'll do the final two.

Last edited by rust1d; 12-18-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey rusty1d, I can only assume you were using the search function when you stumbled across this 9 yr old thread.

Just wanted to say thanks for using the search function! :-)

The regulars here appreciate it so thanks again.

Thank you so much.

Have a great night.

Cheers.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Cheef,
Mike Troyer said with a tuner his 2004 4.6 would gain 21 - 26 hp depending on the tune and he was a superhchips distributor. Imagine that. Maybe you should ask for his dyno sheet.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VMP's 4.6 tuning results/dyno sheets are available as well. I don't have a 4.6 fwiw

Quick Reply: 4.6 stock horsepower? HP After Chip??