Question for Mike T.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for Mike T.

Does Superchips have a chip for the 01 Escape 3.0L and the 01 Mustang GT 5sp.??
If so, what are the hp gains?? torque?? I looked on the Superchips website and I didnt see anything on the two vehicles.Thanks for your time??

Old 05-29-2001, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi therock,

Yes, we sure do! We'll need to know the computer code of each of those vehicles to make sure we have it done for those codes, but yes, we've been making Superchips for those 2 vehicles. The 3.0 gains about 15 horsepower and the GT gains 17 horsepower. Just give us a call or shoot us an email, & we'll be happy to go over all the details with you.

Oh, and congratulations on a couple of neat vehicles!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 06-01-2001, 10:19 PM
Wink

I wished the GT was mine!!!!!!!!! But I was just getting info for some friends, thanks

Old 06-02-2001, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Rock,

You're very welcome, anytime!

And best of luck to your friends as well, we hope they enjoy them, and I'm sure they are.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 06-02-2001, 11:49 PM
Question

Ok Mike,
I am going to order my chip this week. I have a 5.4 SuperCrew 4X4 besides using premium what else do you recommend. I am havimg a Flowmaster installed next Saturday.

Old 06-03-2001, 07:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Rancee,

Well, for starters, though exhaust mods are a good idea, you might want to re-think having that Flowmaster system installed, as they cause a drop in torque on these vehicles pretty consistently, even while gaining horsepower at higher rpms. If you haven't actually installed that Flowmaster system yet, you might want to give us a call and let's go over all of that, then you can decide from an informed viewpoint.

Flowmasters *flow* like a bandit, no doubt, but they don't have the flow engineering that is really required to increase torque in these heavy trucks, they usually decrease available torque from the low end thru the mid-range noticeably.

In fact, it might be a good idea to just give us a call, and let's go over a number of the best bang-for-the-buck mods for these vehicles, so you can formulate a solid game plan to get your performance where you ewant it at the least expense.

Generally, the Top 3 best mods from a bang-for-the-buck standpoint are the Superchip, a good airbox elimination kit, and a conpetent aftermarket cat-back exhaust system, in that order. You can do those mods in any order you like, that's just the order of performance improvement per dollar spent. Among those 3 basic areas that you generally want to do first are a range of choices that can make all the difference in the world in your actual *results*, from outright raw power to overall driveability & pleasure. So we'd suggest giving us a quick call, and let's go over all of that with you, so you can decide exactly what you want to do, in what order, etc. for best results & least outlay, I would suggest. It's up to you, of course!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 06-04-2001, 12:32 AM
So Mike if Flowmaster is no good, what is the best muffler system to get. I was about to get Flowmaster dual exhaust off the cats. I don't have the money for Borla but need to keep my low end.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2001, 09:00 AM
911 i am not mike but the gibson single side is suppose to keep and even increase the torque according to their advertisment, fool that i am i belived and i am using one, but can't tell if true or not. here you read and make up your mind.--lol

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/

------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

being installed as of 5/22/01
GIBSON CAT BACK
GIBSON HEADER
REFLEXX COBRA HOOD
STREET SCENE GRILL
HOLLEY THUNDER SUPERCHARGE
PILLER GAUGES

Old 06-04-2001, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi 911,

OK, I need to be clear here, so there are no misunderstandings, as I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to "bash" Flowmaster, as that is really not my intent.

Flowmasters generally do exactly what their name implies, and that is, flow like a bandit. They generally work great on vehicles like Mustangs, Camaros, typical musclecars, etc., as that is what they have traditionally been designed for, lighter higher-powered vehicles. Only in the past couple of years have they tried to market systems towards these trucks specifically, meaning in terms of actually trying to do some flow engineering that will help torque on the low end. To be fair to Flowmaster, *many* other exhaust manufacturers don't do this well, this is not something that is only an issue with Flowmaster.

What I'm talking about specifically is the tendency to add horsepower, they certainly do that OK, but they also cost torque on the low end thru the lower mid-range, particularly on part-throttle. And that is exactly what these heavy trucks need, additional torque on the low end and mid-range, right where it's hardest to produce.

On some of the lighter F-150 configurations, there are *plenty* of people who are very happy with their Flowmasters, and more power to them. On the heavier trucks, it's more of an issue, especially for those who are towing.

The Gibson Swept-Side system is one of the better systems on the market where this issue of low-end torque is concerned, and we have recommended them to many people. We are currently evaluating other data as well, hopefully to see just who is doing the better job low-end torque wise. When we're through doing that, we'll make some comments.

The *sound* is also another aspect that is critical to some, and for some guys, that Flowmaster tone is *exactly* what they're looking for. So it really all gets down to just what each individual truck owner wants to satisfy *their* needs.

With regards to low-end torque, I think the Gibson Swept-Side system does a better job than Flowmaster, though it's a quieter system as well, and some people want more sound volume, they really want to hear that V-8 throbbing, there are just so many different factors that go into each person's choice of exhaust system.

Here shortly we will make some comments on what we're learning, and we'll let everyone know. For the time being, anyone shopping for an exhaust system right now can do well by calling Roger Lemere, who runs the F-150 Online Store, as he carries several brands, and might be able to perhaps advise you on their relative strengths & weaknesses.

I hope that helps to clear that up a bit,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Question for Mike T.