FlipChip

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FlipChip

Looking for anyone who has installed a SuperChip Flip Chip. I have a 4x4 XLT 5.4. Just wondering how people like it. I am looking forward to installing mine.

------------------

Old 05-19-2001, 10:54 PM
I have a 5.4, please let me know how you like the chip. I presently dont have a chip.

Old 05-20-2001, 02:57 PM
Thumbs up

Hi Guys

If you read or reread posts, lots of input. Sflip chip works good for me. Works as advertised etc.

Have a good one. OT,

Old 05-20-2001, 06:49 PM
I will be installing mine tomorrow night. I will post results before midnight!

------------------
2001 5.4 S Cab Lariat
ORP / 3.55 L/S
Class 3 Tow Package

Gibson SweptSide
K&N Gen 2 FIPK
Superchip FLIP CHIP ( on order )
Next Mod - Sound System ?

Old 05-20-2001, 08:51 PM
Helloe,

Hope the install goes well. I will be curious as to how you make out cleaning the contacts on the computer. Good Luck!

I hope to put mine in memorial day.

Old 05-20-2001, 09:05 PM
Talking

have a flip chip--ran 87 octane in number 1 position for a tank just to see the diff--changes the shifting and seemed to work well--then switched to premium gas and worked really well--power was there--very happy with it.
Alas pulled it out last nite and sent it back, will miss it very much==but needed mike to have the company change it for new headers and supercharger that are going on this week. i am sure it will come back tuned to what i need.
in short get one you'll love it.

------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

sitting in garage mods
GIBSON CAT BACK
GIBSON HEADER
REFLEXX COBRA HOOD
STREET SCENE GRILL
HOLLEY THUNDER SUPERCHARGE
ALL TO BE INSTALLED IN 7 DAYS

Old 05-21-2001, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi MASS150,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

As you can see from the responses, they generally enjoy the added flexibiity of the 2-program Flip Chip very much. Most are running them with an 87 & 92 octane programs combination, for best power & driveability on either level of octane.

If you'd like to go over any of the details of the Flip Chip, etc., please feel free to give us a call, we're always happy to go over anything you'd like to discuss.

Best of luck with your truck, & we hope you'll hang out here with us when you have the time, it's a great place to learn about these trucks, what makes them go, etc., & even meet some new friends.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 05-21-2001, 03:09 PM
Hey Mass
Where in Mass R U from? I grew up on the cape in Falmouth. Did my 1-12 schooling there.

------------------
2001 5.4 S Cab Lariat
ORP / 3.55 L/S
Class 3 Tow Package

Gibson SweptSide
K&N Gen 2 FIPK
Superchip FLIP CHIP
LoJack
Next Mod - Sound System ?

Old 05-21-2001, 06:55 PM
Exclamation

Superchips_Distributor,

I received my flip chip today. I just put it in the truck (took about 30 min). The truck started right up. Installation went easy, however I did remove the battery as this made removing the computer connecter much easier. I did not have any problems with the mounting bracket or the chip placement. Everything fit together nicely. What to me the longest is deciding where to put the program switch. I will take the truck out for a test drive after dinner and post my opinion later. Still have a full tank of 87, so it will be a while before I try the 92 program.

Helloe,

I am from the south shore, Whitman area. Lived here most of my life except for about 10 years in VA.

Old 05-22-2001, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi MASSF150,

Sounds good, glad to hear your installation went smoothly, that's how it's supposed to be, and normally is, excellent!

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-22-2001, 06:51 PM
Question

Hey Mike,

Your ordering site mentions the flip chip for Ford Lightnings but no other F-150. I can get one for my v-6 and it would be the same price as the price for the Lightning
flip chip, right? You've got me on the verge of getting one if I can get the flip chip.

Old 05-22-2001, 07:41 PM
Question

Mike (Superchips_Distributor),

I ran the chip for about 50 miles now. As the computer starts to learn the trucks shifts seem smother and firmer than before.

I have questions about the 87/92 dual programs and was hoping you had the time to answer.

I currently have a full tank of 87, this is what I had in the tank when I put the chip in. Since the computer was reset during installation, it is re-learning driving patterns with the 87 octane. Here is the question:

Will "teaching" the truck’s factory computer with the 87-octane setting change the performance properties when I switch to the 92-octane program? Should I reset the computer when I fill-up and flip to the 92-octane setting? Multiple resets of the computer gets to be a drag because it takes more than a few miles to have it re-learn the driving patterns again. Any help on this would be great!

Thanks

Old 05-23-2001, 09:30 AM
Talking

Mass,

I've had my Flip Chip for over a year, and spend most of my time in position 1 (87 octane). But, when gas prices permit, or I have some extra cash, I flip to position 2. The results are almost instantantly noticible. Obviously the 87 octane in the fuel lines and fuel filter goes pretty quickly, and once the 93 octane hits, you begin to notice the additional power and corresponding improvement in the shifting and driveability! For me, it was definately worth the extra cost for the Flip Chip, and having the added advantage of the improved shifting regardless of the grade gas I use is a big plus! I went through the same thing you did when I first installed my chip, my tank was also fairly full. It seemed that was the longest a tank of gas ever lasted in my truck! But rest assured, you will notice the difference, and you don't have to worry about resetting the computer everytime, just top off the tank, flip the switch and go! Enjoy!

------------------
Paul...
99 White F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, Superchips Flip Chip, and the Original F150online Decal...

What more is there!

ptarnuzzer@home.com

[This message has been edited by PaulT (edited 05-23-2001).]

Old 05-24-2001, 12:22 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi 911,

Yes, and my apologies for the confusion, we're sending in some changes to the Webmaster for that, as right now the Flip Chip is labeled as being for the Lighting, when in fact that same Flip Chip can be programmed to run on any computer controlled fuel injected Ford except the Powerstroke diesels and the V-10 gas engines, which take a different type of module.

As you get further into that online system, you will see that there are drop-down boxes for you to identify your actual year, make, model, etc., so you can order it thru there anytime.

If you have any questions, or just want to go over the details, etc., feel free to give us a call, we'll be happy to go over anything with you.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 05-24-2001, 12:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi MASSF150,

As Paul T mentioned in his response, that change happens pretty quickly, within 50 miles or so of flipping the switch, and you do not have to disconnect the battery to do that.

You would only disconnect the battery when changing programs in the Flip Chip if you were doing controlled back-to-back *testing*, either on a dyno or at a drag strip. Otherwise, you just fill it up with premium, flip the switch and go drive it.

It is true that it will take a few hundred miles for the ECU to fully adjust to that program, and then on an ongoing basis the adaptive strategy will adjust (these adjustment capabilities are *very* minor) for the manner in which the vehicle is being operated most often. So you'll probably notice that as you accumulate the first 500-1000 miles or so that it may feel a bit stronger, and that's normal.

But the basic answer to your question is that you do not have to disconnect the battery when flipping the switch, unless you're doing controlled back-to-back testing.

Have fun!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: FlipChip