How to see if Supership is functioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to see if Supership is functioning

Since the gains are small and the buttometer tuning is very sloppy, is there some way without something like Autotap to tell if the chip is plugged in properly & functioning properly? If not, and I get the Ford dongle for my Auotap, what do I look for there?

I can't say for sure but I don;t think the truck is behaving the same way after a few thousand miles as it did a few hundred after the chip install. I know it could be a number of other factors but I want to start tracking it down and eventually, I will need to look at the chip.

Thanks,

Chuck

------------------
2001 Gen I Screw Lariat
Air Raid, Superchip

Old 04-19-2001, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Nothing whatsoever has changed with your Superchip, that cannot ever happen on it's own, just so you'll know, that is a complete impossibility for the Superchip to "change" on its own. The only way it can be changed is for us to change the contents of the program inside, which can never just happen on it's own.

What's happened is that you've simply gotten used to its power gains, this has happened to any number of people here before, where they just got used to what the Superchip does, as it's very smooth. And you can easily verify that, by following the directions we provide with every Superchip we ship.

1.) Disconnect your battery, and remove the Superchip.

2.) With the battery disconnected, turn on your headlights for 5 minutes to drain all residual voltage and thus properly clear the computer's volatile memory, so you do not have any of the Superchip program still sitting there in memory.

3.) Re-connect your battery, and drive it like that for a couple of weeks without the Superchip.

4.) After 2 weeks of driving without the Superchip, disconnect your battery, and re-install the Superchip.

5.) Re-connect your battery and test-start the engine, just to make sure it starts with the Superchip installed. That lets you know the Superchip is working properly, by virtue of the fact that the vehicle starts with it installed.

6.) After test-starting the engine, turn the motor off, and go back and disconnect your battery once again. With the battery disconnected and the Superchip installed, turn the headlights on for 5 minutes, once again, to drain all residual voltage and to clear all vestiges of the factory program from the computer's volatile memory.

7.) After 5 minutes, turn the headlights back off, and re-connect your battery, and then drive away.

Doing that will cleary show you what the Superchip has been doing all this time, and that cannot ever change, unless it's fed poor quality gasoline. As long as the Superchip is "fed" the required high-quality premium gasoline, it's going to operate as designed. The Superchip is the single most cost-effective modification you can do to these vehicles, nothing else can provide as much of a performance gain for a lower purchase price.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to give us a call.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 04-19-2001).]

Old 04-19-2001, 01:42 PM
Mike,

Didn't mean to imply that the chip had changed. I'm thinking more along the lines that it might have been jarred loose. I guess reseating it will settle that but it was such a bear the first time to get seated such that it worked properly (had to bail out my wife at the mall when the dreaded no-start happened) that I duct taped it up good (hack solution to any problem).

Just thought you might have put something in there such that if you turned the car to accessory with the dome light one & the left turn signal on, a properly isntalled ship would flash the ABS light in an SOS pattern or play jingle bells on the horn or something in order to test installation. You might want to consider something to verify the install other than the buttometer test!

I hope that I am just used to it and just itchy for the next mod!

Chuck

------------------
2001 Gen I Screw Lariat
Air Raid, Superchip

Old 04-19-2001, 02:10 PM
I thought the same thing one time and I even called Mike, so I took it out cleaned everything out and re-installed it and then I felt it all over again. Next mod try some good exhaust

------------------
OO L Black, Superchip R9, Airaid FIPK and Tonneau cover: 1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Flowmaster dual chamber one in and duels out, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 04-19-2001, 07:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Hey Imud!
I have noticed the comp. will learn to be slow after a couple weeks of city driving,ie:traffic. Whenever it starts feeling slow,I pull the negative battery terminal,lights on for ten minutes or so,and reconnect the batt. Slowness goes away. Puts a smile back on my face everytime
As suggested,an improved(high flow)exhaust will really surprise you. I had a K&N intake and a dualed exhaust before I got my chip,,,and it really woke up when I installed it(chip)
------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's,,too noisy
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Grillcraft grill insert
Speedglo gauges w/carbon fiber overlay,might paint it black
Stillen Quad light air dam,Sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,and Soundstream P203e amplifier//Single 10" sub
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

I just wish it was lowered

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 04-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 04-19-2001).]

Old 04-20-2001, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi IMud,

Sure, no problem! I just thought that you had perhaps just become used to it, so that's why I wanted to let you know that it's program cannot ever just change on it's own (that's a common question), and to also give you the procedure to see just what the Superchip is doing for you, in case you needed or wanted to do that.

If the Superchip comes loose, then usually what will happen is you'll get a no-start. Then you simply remove and re-seat the Superchip to restore proper operations. Anytime we install the Superchip in a pickup, SUV, or anything with 4WD, we'll also tape the Superchip module in place to guard against getting jarred loose in the event of an impact or hitting a curb, etc. By the way, we do not recommend using duct tape, though it can work ok of course, there are better ways. I would suggest going back over our Performance Products additional documentation and use the technique we describe for taping it in place, as that gives the best results. Also, please make sure, if you haven't already, that you don't have that "lip" or "tab" on the mounting bracket for the computer that can touch the Superchip and cause it to work loose, some of these vehicles have that, and we go over that in our doc's very thoroughly as well.

Just so you'll know, as long as the vehicle starts with the Superchip installed, the Superchip is working, as it's an "all or nothing" design, it can't just do part of it's job, for example. The Superchip does not comunicate with any other systems other than the powertrain computer, nor do we want it to. You know it's working simply by virtue of the fact that the vehicle starts with it installed, just like with the factory eprom chip.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: How to see if Supership is functioning