Electric Fans

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikey88,

If you haven't purchased a fan system yet, you might wait a little longer. I was interested in changing out to an electric fan system, but did not see any currently on the market that took advantage of the entire surface area to draw air in at idle speed....specifically, lack of a full fan shroud.
On the Permacool website, they show a clean looking dual fan setup for GM trucks. It has a full shroud that mates with the existing radiator framework. It did not list one for a Ford truck, but the website stated that it would be available soon.
I therefore contacted Permacool when their new fan system for Ford 5.4L engines would be available. They quickly replied back and said "early summer".
Suggest you browse their website:
<www.permacool.com> .....you'll see what I mean.

Good luck and happy shopping!

------------------
2001 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x2
Black w/gray leather
5.4L Engine
Towing package (with the 1.02" radiator)

Modifications:
Gibson SideSwept Exhaust
K&N filtercharger w/modified cold air box
******* lid
Bed Extender
Ventvisors
Hood deflector
Black Stull 5072-X Billet Grille

Shopping List:
Flipchip
Lightning clear corners & tails
Oil filter relocation
Front poly swaybar/endlink bushings
Rear swaybar
PermaCool Cool Pack II dual electric fans(available this summer)

[This message has been edited by Area 52 (edited 04-13-2001).]

Old 04-13-2001, 02:47 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I have not got one as of yet, but the one I saw was a perma cool in the Jegs catalog. It's a 16" for 88.99 which is not too bad. I think I may do the same thing you are doing. How much power gain do you expect from this?

------------------
OO L Black, Superchip R9, Airaid FIPK and Tonneau cover: 1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Flowmaster dual chamber one in and duels out, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 04-13-2001, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just so you'll know, there is actually no need for electric coolings fans, or their shrounds, to be as large as the entire surface area of the radiator, that is not required for proper cooling. Nor will you find many like that for the vast majority of vehicles. Remember that this type of design was intended for use with factory mechanical fans, because of the fact that their rpm is going to vary with engine speed, so at idle there is much less cooling from a fan turning at engine idle speeds. With electric cooling fans, all that changes, as their speed is not affected by engine speed as it is with a mechanical fan.

As long as the electric fan or fans can push enough cfm's of air, and that is easily done with existing units on the market today, that is all that matters. There are plenty of electric cooling fans available today from various sources that can easily cool any Ford truck, even at high power levels, in the hottest of weather anywhere in the country.

All that being said, if there happens to be a unit on the market that will cover the entire surface area, and that makes someone feel more comfortable, then sure, there's of course nothing wrong with that!

Just FYI, guys..............

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-13-2001, 05:24 PM
Does the single work as good as the duel. I just read an article in the Jeg's mag that stated one dyno test showed a 12 hp and 16 ft.-lb tq gain by changing to electric fans. That should be good for a tenth or 2????

------------------
OO L Black, Superchip R9, Airaid FIPK and Tonneau cover: 1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Flowmaster dual chamber one in and duels out, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 04-14-2001, 12:24 AM
Post Electric Fans

What is the best way to install them and at what temp should they come on and off? Thanks

------------------

Old 04-14-2001, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flex-aLite is advertising a dual setup with a shroud for Fords part #260. Supposed to move 5,200 cfm.
Look at www.flex-alite.com

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks,Expedition Center Console

Old 04-15-2001, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mikey,

I personally prefer the dual-fan setups, but it's the airflow that matters most.

Neal the HP Freak did a nice job on his conversion, using a pair of 16" Derale fans, if memory serves.

And I'd take a look at that link that T Ellenberger posted, too.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-16-2001, 04:00 PM
I installed a single 16" PermaCool electric fan over two years ago and have had no problems; never gets hotter than it should and the AC works fine. But I've got the coolest running setup: V6 with manual trans. If I ever need more, there's always room to add another 16" (or 14") fan.

Before I installed it, I asked them about the shroud. They said get rid of the shroud and mount the fan to the radaitor. Only x% of the radiator needs to be covered by the fan (I forget the percentage). Shrouds are needed for engine-driven fans because they are so far from the radiator. But I've seen factory electric fans with a shroud, so whatever.

For more fan talk, check-out: https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000508.html

------------------
Danny
'98 F-150 Std., RC, SB, 4x2, 4.2L, 5-sp, 3.08, AC, speed control, rear slider.
Mods: Mobil 1 engine oil, Red Line D4-ATF trans fluid, Edelbrock IAS shocks, 50 Series Flowmaster, K&N with airbox mod, Perma-Cool electric radiator fan, Superchip, ASP underdrive pulley

Old 04-16-2001, 04:28 PM
Thanks Gaudenti, that was some good info. Is there enough room to mount two 16 " fans on a 99 F-150? I have the 5.4 engine and like you live in a warm climate here in S. Louisiana. I would rather have two if they will fit. Thanks and I really like the Permacool

------------------

Old 04-17-2001, 12:12 AM
I checked the Derale website and the duel setup on there is for 4 or 6 cylinder engines and the Flix a lite 260 states that it's for GM products, so I'm still looking. What is the minimun cfm that I would need

------------------

Old 04-18-2001, 03:35 PM
If I remember right, my radiator is 17" x 32". Maybe 33" wide. So two 16" fans should just fit. I'd probably go with a 16" and a 14", though.

I think another reason PermaCool recommends removing the shroud is because it allows better cooling when the fan isn't running. My fan only runs on a hot day in slow traffic or if idling too long and not moving. Having the back of the radiator open allows heat to get out of the radiator easier and reduces the need for the fan.

------------------
Danny

Old 04-18-2001, 07:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... I have twin 16 inch DERALE electric fans on my truck. They fit perfectly and have NEVER had a overheating problem. My engine temp is ALWAYS around 180-192 degree's no matter the outside temp.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP "FLIP-CHIP", BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, PERMA-COOL external tranny filter, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS, FORD RACING 24LB injectors, RUSSELL stainless steel braided tranny lines with fittings.

FUTURE MODS : BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 340H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.52E.T * MPH - 93.73 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 16.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon JAZ fuel cell,etc

Old 04-18-2001, 11:00 PM
Got the fan today. It is a 16" Permacool which should do the job. should I get a independent guage to keep a close eye on the temp or just monitor the factory guage? If this is not enough, I'll add another

------------------

Old 04-19-2001, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mikey:
According to their ad the flex-a-lite 250 is for Chevy and the 260 is for Ford and Dodge. I read here that the 260 is more of a universal bracket for mounting.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks,Expedition Center Console

Old 04-19-2001, 11:11 AM
Thanks T E, I saw that on their website and now I'm trying to find someone who has it in stock so I can purchase it. I can always return the other one if I have to. I really like that one alot better so thanks again and I'll keep you all posted. This is a great site

------------------

Quick Reply: Electric Fans