My MPG, so far.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My MPG, so far.

Ok, this is absolutly no science but, after my first raod trip with the Airaid FIPK and Superchip installed, I just pulled into the garage with 17.3 on my MPG display. It was about 250 miles round trip and I drove the speed limit for the most part and did have the climate control on about 80% of the time.

That's about 1 to 1.5 MPG better than I've ever gotten. Most of my road trips I can't compare becasue I tend to run 80 MPH or better a lot of the time. But even ones I can, it about 1 MPG better.

Take it for what it's worth, it's just one guys experience.

Around town it looks like I'm getting about the same to maybe .5 MPG more or better. Anyone with an Expy knows that it's real easy to to drop MPG even bone stock, but to improve it with better driving habits is tough.

S/S Gibson comes in a little over a week and I'm hoping (maybe dreaming) that it might improve a little more.

Oh ya, I almost forgot why I installed this stuff to begin with, damn it's much funner to drive now. If I want to, I can make it suck the gas down and really enjoy doing it now.

Happy Holiday's everyone.

------------------
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!
Gibson Stainless Steel Swept Side Ordered!

Old 12-26-2000, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Family Ride,

Thanks for your post. If you continue to track your gas mileage consistently, you might see it come up a bit more as you accumulate the next 1500-2000 miles or so, as in some of these newer vehicles, it can take longer to see all the potential mileage benefits from the Superchip. We first noticed that in a 1999 Ranger 4.0. In all our previous 4.0's (Explorers, etc.) we got 3.0 mpg gain (16.0 vs. 19.0)from the Superchip very quickly, but with the arrival of the then-new 1999 Ranger 4.0, we only saw 1.5 mpg increase at first, and then it took 1500-2000 miles to get the rest of the 3.0 gain that we've typically gotten with these 4.0's. They tend to be a bit more conservatively tuned than the Triton V-8's, so they pick up a bit more percentage-wise.

This may or may not affect you, it's just an observation, and when we noticed that, we went back to baseline in all our vehicles and re-established the mileage with the factory program, and then again with the Superchips re-installed because of that oddity we noticed on that 99 Ranger. And since them, we've seen that tendency on a number of newer vehicles, where it takes longer to get all the mileage by-product benefits from the Superchip, probably just the long trim fuel curve taking longer to adjust, etc.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 12-26-2000).]

Old 12-28-2000, 03:11 PM
This is mostly due to the premium fuel. I switched to premium early on in 98 and got 1 to 2 mpg better with the use of just premium and no chip.

Old 12-28-2000, 03:45 PM
yeah, but the power is improved soooo much I'll take it!!!

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Flowmaster dual chamber one in and duels out, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 01-05-2001, 10:24 PM
Here's an update.

Now that my driving is back to normal, where I used to get 13-14, closer to low 13's, I'm now bouncing from 16.3 to 16.4.

Now, one thing that is different, I'm am tending to drive a little more conservetivly, although still having fun driving. I nail it when I want to nail it but I'm seeing that I don't have to nail it as hard to get better results. Also keep in mind, it's been cold in North Texas and although it stays in a garage, I like to drive in a warm vehicle. And if there is something to the reformulated gas thing at this time of year, I should get even better later in the year although that's hard for me to believe, but we'll see.

BC&FIPK (Before Chip and FIPK), even trying really hard and driving very conservative, I couldn't get over 15 even, and I have tried premium in the past although not for more that 2-3 tanks in a row. I also never saw any performance gains with premuim, before now. Pure hwy MPG on road trips would get me closer to 16 but only on the hwy. Get back to the city and the bottom dropped out.

So, even if the chip isn't 100% responsible for the gains, it is a big part. Even if part of it is that it's helped me drive a little easier.

So, my unofficial calulations on my abucus show that I will recoup the cost of the chip in fuel savings in 8.34 years. (ok that part is just to lighten up the whole MPG thing)

------------------
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!
Gibson Stainless Steel Swept Side Ordered and Backordered and Backordered again!

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 01-05-2001).]

Old 01-06-2001, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

Thanks for your update. Though not exactly "scientific", as you've always been the very first to point out about your own data, you're seeing an obvious & clear consistent pattern here so far it seems.

Thanks for your candor & perspective in the way you've posted your data here. The part about the 8+ year R.O.I. is hilarious!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 01-06-2001, 06:28 PM
Wink

Sometimes I chuckle to myself as I read this forum on the Superchip. It's no different here than on the Harley-Davidson forums around the net where people install the PCII module which modifies the ECM on the new Harley FI Twin-Cam 88s and gives them quite a boost in power.

Almost everyone's mileage goes down initially, and perhaps forever, mainly because if feels so good to roll on the throttle with all the extra power.

The more things change the more they stay the same. (Uh, is that that saying???)

------------------
'00 F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition
Superchip
K&N FIPK
Unicover Tonneau
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
Peronalized Plate: F150 HD
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

Old 01-07-2001, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Harley Guy,

Thanks for your perspective.

Yep, that's the saying as I've always hear it.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: My MPG, so far.