Hesitation/surge at take-off

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-1999, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hesitation/surge at take-off

I have had a Superchip in my '99 250SD 5.4L for about 2-3 months (truck has 9700 miles). Just recently, I have been noticing a hesitation then a surge of power at start up from a stop. First, I thought it was related to the gasoline (93 octane but generic). I used fuel system cleaner x2 but no change. Could this be a problem with the Superchip?

Old 07-26-1999, 03:09 AM
Question

Could the chip be loose? This seemes to be
part of the same problem posted in
cableguy's "Died while driving" topic.

Old 07-26-1999, 08:45 AM
I have had that same problem practically from day one when I bought the truck, before and after the Superchip.

I have had my truck into the dealer 3 times to see what is wrong, but they can't find anything.

I have just been living with it over the last 16 months that I have had the truck. I only have 8 more months to go on my lease and I am going to try a new one with the V-10.

------------------
'99 F-250 Super Duty, 4x4, SC, XLT, 5.4L, 4.10LS gears, Deep Metallic Blue/Med. Graphite, Superchip.

Old 07-26-1999, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Craig,

No, I don't think this has anything to do with the Superchip, since it didn't start until after you had the Superchip installed for some time. As you can see from other responses, others have had a hesitation problem from time to time. You might want to have your dealer take a look at it. If it's going in for diagnostics, we suggest removing the Superchip first. The Superchip's fuel curves compensate fo the differnt burn rate of premium fuel, just so you know. As a matter of fact, it could be said that the Superchip for most normally-aspirated engines is basically a conversion, from regular to premium fuel, which is where a lot of the power gains come from.

Good luck, and please let us know what you find out if you get a cure,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 07-26-1999, 02:32 PM
Please do let us know if you find out. My 2 week old 99' F-150 4X4 Sport 4.2L V6 5-speed does this sometimes too. -AR

------------------

Quick Reply: Hesitation/surge at take-off