Superchip Vs. Diablo Chip

Old 09-17-2003, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchip Vs. Diablo Chip

I need some help...I want to put a chip in my truck. It's a 2003 f-150 5.4L 4x4. I have a cold air intake, gibson supertruck exhaust, and plan on a MAF and possibly a electric fan or throttle body. Whats the advantages of the SUPERCHIP over the DIABLO CHIP and visa versa. Which one would you guys recommend. I would get a "flipchip" with a stock program and a custom prog. Thanks for all your help.

Oh yeah what would give me the most hp out of :
5,500 CFM Electric fan (dual)
New Throttle Body
MAF
Extuned Manifold

Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Well in my area, St. Louis, we have a Ford expert tuner who has tuned engines for over 25 years. He buys blank Diablo 2 program chips, puts the vehicle on a dyno, hooks the computer up to the OBDII, and tunes it perfectly. He charges 350 bucks for that, plus if you ever need a retune for a new mod, its only 40bucks with new dyno before and after sheets.

My advice to you is to try and find a place similar to that in your area, which tunes it that way.

I went with a Superchip, but realized after doing modifications that required retuning, that a reburn is 200 bucks!!! Make sure you look into the reburn price of every chip you consider. Because if I would have known it cost 200 dam dollars to reburn a Superchip, I would have never ever gone with it in the first place.

- Rick -

Old 09-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
f150nascar. i think idealy your ideal is perfect. the only problem, and it is a big one, is finding a person capable, reputable, with experience with other vehicle like yours. seem like in the aftermarket auto industry there are a lot of wannabees whos main concern is how fast their car is. or they tell you they have done it a million times and your new 20 to 30k vehicle is the gennie pig.

if you can find get a find a person with a lot of good references then your way is probably the way to go. I'm in Houston, descent size town and i have not heard of anyone that tunes or truck well, lots that do it but i have heard alot of horror stories or $600 to $700 price tags. also, i dont know how much training and what credetials diablo requires to be a dealer.

proceed with caution

Old 09-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
double-post, sorry!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 09-18-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Falcon,

The Superchip is the only performance chip on the market that has all 3 of the following aspects - tunes each vehicle individually based on it's PCM software revision, tunes on part-throttle as well as full-throttle so you get power gains all the time at any throttle position, and is still also 50-state emissions certified - only Superchips offers all that. Other chipmakers have some of that, nobody else has it all.

Though you'd probably be happy with either product, nobody else among the "name" chipmakers has the sheer amount of R&D specifically in the F-150 platform that Superchips does. We carried the Diablo line as well for a while, and while it's a good product, the overall driveability and performance is better with the Superchip as it's a more thorough optimization of the powertrain program.

I will say this - the Diablo is a better product than the likes of Jet, Hypertech, etc. - those companies make generic products, giving you one performance program compromised to run on all similar vehicles, and tune only at extremely heavy to full-throttle, where there are no emissions standards that have to be met - a little known fact about the structure of the emissions laws. The Diablo does tune most applications according to the PCM revision, and they do also tune on part-throttle as well as full-throttle - thus it's a better product than a Jet or a Hypertech, that's certainly fair to say. We rate Superchips as #1, and Diablo a ways back at #2 among the "name" chipmakers.

We've had numerous members of F-150 Online bring their vehicles to the Superchips facilities doing various R&D projects, ranging from the first supercharged 4.2 V6 F-150 which went from 140 HP at the rear wheels in stock trim to 335 at the rear wheels *on the stock engine & cylinder heads* by the time we & the vehicle owner were done with it (and that vehicle also had to tow heavy loads every day for years), to the first performance programs for the F-150 SVT Lightning, etc.

Your truck hasn't had a blower added to it, it's not a Lightning, it's what we call a "regular" F-150 like most of us drive, so like most F-150 owners, it's probably your daily driver, perhaps doing occasional towing, etc. - those owners are generally concerned with getting better performance while not compromising the reliability of their vehicle, and they aren't trying to turn it into a race car - they simply want more power and better performance, and that is exactly what we focus much of our efforts on. Here at Troyer Performance we have specialized in this F-150 platform for years & years, and helped to develop & test some of the features that are in these programs, including the "MAX" performance tune that we helped create 2.5 years ago.

You'll want to spend some time reading this section, read the many threads here for yourself, and see what others are using & how happy they are with what they have - a very clear pattern will emerge.

You might want to give us a call and get some more detailed information, as there's far more involved than can be discussed here sitting typing out every word - we'll be happy to go over with you in detail just exactly what we can do for the performance of your vehicle, what mods require custom tuning compensation, which mods don't, just how much performance you can get out of your truck, etc. Because we specialize in this platform, we not only offer tuning services, we do everything from minor mods like air filters & electric fans to superchargers, built motors, ported heads, & everything in between - we can literally take your F-150's performance as far as you want to go - from drag racing to daily drivers & occasional tow vehicle to you name it, we have performance packages & tuning for anything you'll do with that vehicle.

You're thinking along the right lines in going with our 2-program Superchip Flip Chip, as that way you can do things like have a multi-octane capability, or have a street/strip setup, or have say, a towing/performance combination, or whatever fits the bill for how you're using your vehicle & what kind of performance you want. Also, the Flip Chip's price *includes* any custom tuning needed at time of purchase, and is capable of being updated an unlimited number of times for future changes to the vehicle.

Please feel free to give us a call, our number is listed below, & we'll be happy to go over with you in detail just exactly what the basic order of best "bang for the buck" modifications are, etc. For example, the Top 3 best bang for the buck mods are the Superchips optimized powertrain program, a good intake kit (Air Force One), and a Magnaflow exhaust system - from there it's on to things like electric fans, underdrive pulleys, larger throttle body, headers, larger MAF, etc.

You would probably enjoy taking a look at our web site over at www.TroyerPerformance.com - click on "Shop" once the home page loads & then you;ll see all the individual parts categories & sections - read up in detail on the Superchips products for your truck, and you'll also want to read up on our Performance Packages - we offer Stage 1 all the way thru Stage 5 kits for your vehicle, in affordable & well-balanced packages.

Best of luck whatever you decide, & please don't hesitate to give us a call if you'd like to go over this or anything else performance-related about your truck.

Have fun,

Old 09-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by F150NASCAR04
Well in my area, St. Louis, we have a Ford expert tuner who has tuned engines for over 25 years. He buys blank Diablo 2 program chips, puts the vehicle on a dyno, hooks the computer up to the OBDII, and tunes it perfectly. He charges 350 bucks for that, plus if you ever need a retune for a new mod, its only 40bucks with new dyno before and after sheets.

My advice to you is to try and find a place similar to that in your area, which tunes it that way.

I went with a Superchip, but realized after doing modifications that required retuning, that a reburn is 200 bucks!!! Make sure you look into the reburn price of every chip you consider. Because if I would have known it cost 200 dam dollars to reburn a Superchip, I would have never ever gone with it in the first place.

- Rick -
Where is this place? I'm interested in checking them out. Thanks.

-Mark

Old 09-23-2003, 09:21 PM
Its in St. Charles, on S. Old Hwy 94. Its down the stree about 300yards from White Castle where 94 intersects Pralle. I work at the Valvoline Instant Oil Change right next to white castle.

So if your coming from 70, turn south onto hwy 94, about 2 miles down, turn right onto Pralle, youll pass White Castle on your left. Then turn left onto S Old Hwy 94. Then just a very little ways down, youll see a sign for "Stegemeiers" on your left.

I suggest you get his phone number and call him, he will be able to set up an appointment. For me, it would be 415 for a single program chip, and 450 for a two program chip. Unfortunately 350 bucks was for a Mustang, at least thats what he charged my manager with a mustang. That includes all the necessary dynos to get it tuned for peak performance, plus i think 8 dynos but that im not sure. I know for a mustang, a reburn is only 40 bucks, it may be more for a Ford truck. Its not Stegemeier himself that does the tuning, its his buddy right next door, and he does it only on the weekends.

If you cant find the place, stop by Valvoline, if Im not there, then somebody will be able to show ya, I dont think youd have any problems finding it, big sign.

Look in the yellow pages under Automobile Performance. He will be under Stegemeier. It says his address is on Harvester, but its not, the shop is on S Old Hwy 94.

Hope this helps ya!
- Rick -

Oh, forgot to add, to Mr. Troyer. I talked to the guy who does the tuning on the dyno here in St. Louis, and I told him about what you said about how different F150s and Mustangs are, and he knew exactly what you were talking about, and had all the stuff to properly tune them.

- Rick -

Last edited by F150NASCAR04; 09-23-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Hope this helps ya!
- Rick -

Thanks Rick. I know where that is. I used to work down 94 near 40. I live in O'Fallon so that will be nice and close. I had a 01 Lightning, now have a 02 Harley, and will soon be trading down to a flareside F-150 regular cab. Maybe tomorrow with any luck.

-Mark

Old 09-25-2003, 12:33 AM
Ill trade you my NASCAR truck for your Harley

- Rick -

Old 09-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by F150NASCAR04
Ill trade you my NASCAR truck for your Harley

- Rick -
Made the deal with Pundmann last night. They have to dealer swap with Sunset to get the truck I want. I should have it tonight and the Harley will be out on Pundmann's lot.

I know I've seen a Nascar F-150 around St Charles before, so maybe I've seen you.

-Mark

Old 09-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Brian Herron is the guy in St. Louis, the website is http://www.apten-us.com/

Old 09-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeah! I talked to Brian yesterday about getting a chip reflashed. I bought a chip from my manager who just blew up his mustang. He got the chip from them, so it will only cost me 140 bucks to tune it with the dyno.

I also know the guy with the explorer on the top of that website. Hes in the Missouri chapter Im a member of, and we go to shows with our group.

Yeah, it probably was me youve seen running around st charles. Im gonna have the original black wheels pretty soon, and I drive to ofallon everyday for school, so youll be seein me around for sure!

- Rick -

Old 09-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Hey I saw your harley today at Pundmann! I was up there getting some plastic parts for my truck. I finally got around to replacing the gouged plastic piece that goes around the bumper hitch. And that little part that goes on the end of the automatic tranny shifter.

Anyways, Ive seen you around with taht truck before. It was mainly the pin striping that makes it more recogniseable. Ill be at Marshall Ford tomorrow after school because they have the wheel lug in stock that I need. I go to school at St. Dominic just down the street from Marshall.

You should join the Missouri Chapter on FordTruckWorld.com. Its soo much fun because we all go to shows together like the all Ford show this sunday at 1st Capitol 4WD.

- Rick -

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Superchip Vs. Diablo Chip