Zaino and older paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino and older paint

I have read many things about Zaino. I must say I am curious to the point that I have just ordered some to try on my new F-150.

However, does anyone know how Zaino works on older paint of approx 3-5 years.

I would assume a total claybar application as well as other prep work is involved. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2002, 08:09 PM
MY02FX4:

Welcome to F150online. I use Zaino and am very, very pleased with the results. It has an awesome shine and seems to last quit a long time.

Zaino don't have any type of cleaner wax as far if the paint is not in good condition. So from my limited experence I would say if the paint needed cleaning it seems most people recommend Mcquires cleaning wax.

Once the paint is in good condition then I would say yes go ahead and do the dawn wash, as recommended by Zaino to insure all the wax is off the paint and then claybar, followed by another wash prior to using Zaino. I don't see any reason you couldn't use Zaino on older paint so long as it is in good condition to begin with.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to clay, compound, and polish before Zaino. The paint needs to be perfect for Zaino because it will highlight all the swirls and imperfections in your paint.

Old 09-19-2002, 06:10 AM
I have a 97 F150, Red, that has been kept clean and waxed from day one and due to all the hype here, I went with Zaino in the spring of this year. Dawn wash, then a clay bar prepped the surface very well and 3 coats of Z5/Z2 with ZFX put a great shine on the truck.
3 months later, although the truck was still shiny, I could definitely feel "drag" to the surface. Clay bar prep of the horizontal surfaces and a coat of Z2/ZFX put it back to slick and velvety.
A vehicle that is 5-6 years old will definitely shine like a new one if it has been taken care of somewhat. One that has been neglected is gonna require a more complete and thorough prepping.

Quick Reply: Zaino and older paint