Damn Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Windshield

Argh! I put some miles on my hd today and stopped at a gas station to fill her up. While it was pumping I grabbed one of those window cleaner brushes and away I went. Did a good job! Got in my truck and I notice about 8 scratches! They're each about 6 inches long. Dammit...guess it's just a smear. I get out of the truck and not only is the windsheild scratched...it's pretty deep!?@!#)(!@ You can feel it with your fingernail..barely...but still can. I used some Scratch X and it helped a little but it's still visible. Any way I can fix this crap? Gesh, if a brush can do that just imagine what will happen when I pile on the mileage and rocks, debris, dirt start hitting it. I've NEVER had this problem before...sucks. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Blake Bowden; 06-13-2002 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:11 AM
Depending on how deep the scratches are, you may need a professional to fix this. A pro would basically sand down the windsheild. This is not always advised as it weakens the windsheild for the next time you get a rock on the highway.

If its not too deep, a glass poilish might buff them out.

Old 06-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually tried to use clear coat scratch remover and a buffer...helped a little but not a whole lot. Then I just got some rubbing compound and buffed it for about an hour. That was a job! Got about 95% of it out though. If you don't know where to look you can't see it anymore. That was really annoying looking out of your windshield and you see scratches everywhere. Glad it fixed though

Old 06-16-2002, 12:42 AM
Angry

I certainly relate to your frustrations. However, with today's windshields we are fighting a losing battle. The materials used in today's manufacturing process appear to produce a windshield which is easily pitted, scratched and damaged. After just 1,000 miles of Interstate highway driving, I was surprised to find numerous tiny pits in my new F150's windshield. I can only assume that they were caused by tiny bits of sand or dirt being thrown by passing trucks and cars (my F150 had not been driven on any gravel or sandy roads). Ten years ago, I remember that a windshield would last for many miles without any damage, unless it had been hit by a stone or rock. Perhaps today's windshields are designed to be softer for safety reasons? Any experts out there. I carry my own windshield cleaner and sponge. As you have experienced, those windshield brushes at service stations have probably not been cleaned for years! I doubt if they ever change the water... you all know how clean they maintain the rest rooms!

Quick Reply: Damn Windshield