Help getting Clear Coat Over Spray off

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Help getting Clear Coat Over Spray off

Back in April I had my bumpers painted and the idiot painter covered the hood with clearcoat overspray. When in the sun you can see kind of a whitish tint on the hood. Back a few months ago I tried a claybar and it took some off, but it didn't come close to taking it all.

Question is would M105 or M205 on the D/A polisher take care of it, or do I need to go another route?

Old 12-29-2015, 10:11 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You may have to wet sand it, followed by M205.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Back in April I had my bumpers painted and the idiot painter covered the hood with clearcoat overspray. When in the sun you can see kind of a whitish tint on the hood. Back a few months ago I tried a claybar and it took some off, but it didn't come close to taking it all.

Question is would M105 or M205 on the D/A polisher take care of it, or do I need to go another route?
The M105 / M205 combo will in theory take it off - with the right pad, machine and technique of course. I think you'll find that most DA's will take some time due to their limited power. If you're patient though, you should be fine.

If you want, M101 actually works much better than the M105 and dusts a whole lot less.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what clay did you use ?

If the "normal" fine did not do the trick, you might have to go up the clay aggressive scale to a medium.

Clay Magic medium or similar brand. Detailed Image also has a medium under their brand. Megs is a red / maroon color medium.

Another option is the autoscrub towel or pad in medium.
You can use this with a grit guard or washboard to clean it off between sections easier than bend and fold of clay.

I have used the medium pad on heavy paint containment that I think was years of tree sap and road grime never washed off ( tunnel washes only, maybe half tunnel half mother nature ).

This will cause marring that will need to be polished off by your standard preferred method.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Agreed

Use the least aggressive method first.

Quick Reply: Help getting Clear Coat Over Spray off