Elec. Polishers

Old 08-14-2001, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elec. Polishers

I'm looking for a good electric random orbital polisher for waxing my Exp. Here's what I've tried thus far:
Sears Polisher - the one currently advertised with a wash bucket. It was marginal - couldn't get enough RPM and it bogged down when under load. Took it back.
Wen Polisher - Bought at Lowes Home Improvement. Sounded like all the bearing were out. Lots of noise, weak, etc. Took it back.
Home Depot - Their private brand. Weakest of all under load.
I was trying to avoid the expensive Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc. polishers that are priced close to $200, but it looks like I'll have to for the performance I need unless someone has another suggestion.
Any ideas?

Old 08-14-2001, 05:42 PM
Porter Cable 7424

You will be very happy. It has a variable speed selector 3500rpm to 6000 rpm. Is dual action, will not burn paint and produces terrific results. It is used by many professional detailers. It comes with a screw in white foam pad. I highly recommend the velcro backing plate and pad kit from www.autopia-carcare.com if you plan on using it alot. It works great for using with 3m perfect-it II and finesse-it III products. I bought mine at the site below...it is the lowest price I could find. You wont be disappointed. If you get it and the pad kit from autopia you will be out about $175-$200, but you will have a very high quality buffer that will last for years and years!

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...7f37+992210107

Old 08-14-2001, 10:15 PM
I'll second that. It's a great tool.

Old 08-14-2001, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Sears polisher, and thats all its good for. I guess I paid 50 bucks for a darn bucket. Bought a used B&D polisher with a T-handle for 25 bucks for the heavy work. Usually just end up waxing by hand at the end of the day...

Old 08-17-2001, 08:57 AM
Wink Thanks

Thanks. I'll give the Porter Cable a try. By the way, my Exp. is black which is the hardest color to work with. Learned my lesson - no more black vehicles. Looks good, but what a maintenance fiasco.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:10 PM
Just be careful at the higher RPM. That is where you can run into problems with heat and burning the paint. My wife's car is black, looks great, but alot of work. Well, my 150 is wedgewood blue, that isn't much better LOL

Old 08-17-2001, 05:06 PM
Dont worry about the high RPM's.

I have professionally detailed for over 10 years. There is NO chance of burning the paint with the PC 7424, even at it's highest setting (6000 rpm). The DA action does not produce the heat like a true rotary polisher does. You can (and I did) hold the 7424 in one spot with 3M fine cut compound and it will not burn the paint. The only danger with this polisher is using too aggressive a product (compunds) without experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elec. Polishers