Post-Off Road Clean-Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Post-Off Road Clean-Up

OK, so I didn't really go offroad and get into this mess. I work for a construction company and I went to a site last week that had some pretty heavy rains the night before. The had a topsoil pile right next to the road. With all of the rain, it basically washed over the road. When I came in I thought, well it can't be that deep. I put it in 4hi at the last minute and suddenly I was in bumper high muck. I kept it moving barely and got out of it. It was only about 2 trucks long but it was long enough. I got out and there was muck everywhere on my truck. To add to it, it smelled like manure. I drove back to my site and on the highway I could tell my wheels were packed with stuff. I stopped at a car wash and went through all of my money smaller than a $20. On the way home it was just as bad. That night I spent over 3 hours under the truck with a hose trying to wash this junk off. I pulled my front skid plate and it looked like I had used it as a shovel. The frame rails were full of mud. I know I didn't get everything but I ran out of light and I was soaking wet and freezing. The next day it was just as bad and I had terrible noises coming from the wheels. I pulled the wheels and cleaned them. I pulled my front brakes and rotor and cleaned them. The rotors were packed with sand and stones. I didn't do the back brakes. Should I take a look at them? I still think I get a little "shimmy" at speed (about 80 mph). Could I have knocked something out of line? I noticed a couple of dings/nicks on my front wheels too. Will that hurt anything? Nothing major to my eye. Is there an easier way to clean the under carriage? Should I have done something more? What should I do now? So many questions....

------------------
'99 F150 SC Lariat 4x4 Deep Wedgewood Blue w/Harvest Gold 2-Tone, Medium Prairie Tan Leather, most of the factory options, Polar Bear Brush Guard, 2 165W KC Daylighters, Ford Factory Steb Bars, Extang Tonnuea Cover, Duracoat Liner with Rubber Mat, Flowmaster 50 series, Superchip, K&N Filter, Airbox Mod and Silencer Removed, 2 Rockford Fosgate 8"'s and a 250 watts RF amp

Old 06-07-2001, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dnale,
a trick i have used for years is to take a lawn sprinkler (the kind that goes back and forth throwing a tall stream of water) , place it under your truck and let it run, move it around from time to time. you will be shocked at the grime that will be underneath your truck. good luck, Rich.

------------------
-1999 F-150 4X4 XLT SC
-4.6, auto
-3.55LS
-Westin chrome nerf bars
-dual straight pipes
-goodyear mt/r 265/75/16
-hikerdadrich@aol.com

Quick Reply: Post-Off Road Clean-Up