Paint cracking over fender -- advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint cracking over fender -- advice?

Hi All,

My truck just turned over 10000 miles and when I was washing it today I noticed that a substantial amount of paint was cracked over the front driver's side fender. Upon close inspection, it might actually be the clearcoat that is cracking, however, it looked pretty bad nonetheless. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and, if so, if you could offer some advice to stop this process.

Thanks in advance

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55 gears
  • Smittybuilt sure step bars
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Ford (Duraliner) Bedliner
  • Class III Tow Package
  • Superchip
  • Ravin Z-55 SI/SO Exhaust

Old 03-12-2001, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe Ford has a 1 year warranty on paint defects... sounds like yours has got one. Talk it to your local dealer's body shop and let them look at it.

-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners, Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard, Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way) Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console, Bully Stainless Steel Trailer hitch drawbarw/ 2" stainless steel ball.
List of planned mods: Clear tails, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain.

Old 03-12-2001, 05:49 PM
Didn't realize that... Thanks GIJoeCam!

Old 03-16-2001, 08:29 AM
Why wouldn't the 3/36 warranty cover paint that longer than 1 year? It should if it is a paint problem.

------------------
- Soon to be 2001 F150 Harley Davidson Special
- 1993 Mazda Miata, wifes car
- 1994 Harley Davidson Heritage
- 1976 Honda CB750K, Original
- 1965 Honda 305 Dream, Original
- 1971 Triumph Trophy 650, Original
- 1971 Norton Commando
- 1970 Honda Trail 90, Original
- Yamaha 500 Short Tracker, racing #69
- 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000, wifes bike
- 1981 Honda Passport 70, wifes bike

Old 03-16-2001, 09:42 AM
Question

I noticed on my wife's uncle's Expedition that the colour-keyed bumper in front had paint peeling. Actually, I think it's the clearcoat thats peeling because you can still see the paint. Am I right? Can that happen? It seems a film over the paint is peeling. What would be the best way to fix it?

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L Auto
Super Cab, StyleSide 4x2
3.55 Limited Slip
Premium Sound
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Hood Protector
No mods (yet!)
Like it just the way it is =)

Old 04-02-2001, 02:48 AM
I have a Black '97 flareside and the entire clearcoat is failing. If you are already noticing it on the fenders than I suggest you look at the top and you will probably see a tremendous amount of cracks. I noticed mine the 35th month of my warranty and took it to the dealer. I am in the military and was getting ready to move. They couldn't get it painted in time and said to take it to a dealer in Phoenix where I was moving. They logged it into the computer and I trusted they would live up to their word. By the time I moved and got to a dealer they said too bad, you are now 2 days over your warranty. Even though I had already addressed it with a Ford dealer they refused to fix their problem. Ford has had a problem with their paint jobs for some time and still will not fix my problem. I contacted every ford representative I could find and only got the same answer. "You are past your warranty." They don't even care that I have a printout from the original dealer showing that I was in concerning the paint job.

My suggestion for you is to take it to the dealer immediately and don't take no for an answer. Ensure that they paint the entire truck because it spreads quickly.

Good luck!!

Yours truly,
Disgruntled Ford Owner
(But I love my truck)

Quick Reply: Paint cracking over fender -- advice?