Opinions on motor flushes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on motor flushes

I used Gunk motor flush twice so far (54,000 mi.) and the stuff that came out looked horrible. I poured the flush into the dipstick tube and ran the truck for 10 min, and it tried to stall a few times at idle. I then poured a quart of oil as a chaser to get rid of any more flush. I always change my oil before it's due but I am the second owner. I didn't think that much crap would come pouring out of my pan.
Anyway my question is should I be using this stuff?

------------------
97 F-150 4.6 4x4
K&N Fipk
Dual Flowmaster 50
Superchip
32" BFG's
Toyota stuck to bumper

Old 03-18-2001, 04:51 PM
I have never used an engine flush, I think if you use good oil and change it regularly when the engine is warm it should not sludge up.

Old 03-19-2001, 01:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was working at Murray's, I used to sell the stuff... I actually tried it myself on my Ranger once... what a mistake that was! It dislodged so much gunk from the insides of my engine, it plugged the oil pump inlet and starved the engine for lube... I never completely lost lubrication, but the loss of pressure was enough that it caused the gauge to go flat-line on me. They fixed it under warranty, just replaced the pump, but never again for me.

Just my .02

-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners, Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard, Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way) Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console, Bully Stainless Steel Trailer hitch drawbarw/ 2" stainless steel ball.
List of planned mods: Clear tails, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain.

Old 03-20-2001, 06:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Avoid motor flush products...especially with only 54,000 miles. If you are changing your oil per the owners manual..you will not need a flush.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 03-20-2001, 03:56 PM
I had an experience like GIJoeCam. Mine cost a blown head gasket two days later. I found that to be too coincidental, since it was running fine with synth. oil changes every 8000 miles, and only had 60,000 miles on the car. Never again.

Quick Reply: Opinions on motor flushes