back sliding windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post back sliding windows

I have a 1997 F150 that is leaking water from the back sliding windows. I thought it was coming from the seals, but I can't seen to find it. Has anyone had this prob.?

Old 01-09-2001, 04:01 PM
Cool

Welcome to the board!
Look up to your right underneath "Post Reply" where it says "Search". You'll find a whole bunch of topics.

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 4X4
  • White/Silver, 4.6L, Auto.
  • Tinted Windows/Bedmat/Toolbox/Lund Bug Deflector/Ventvisors/Extra Horns
  • 265/75/16 BFGoodrich AT's on polished 16x8 AR-136's
  • Cat-back Dual Exhaust (Straight pipes with big chrome tips)
  • Black Polar Bear Grille Guard
  • Cranked Torsion Bars for 1" Lift

Old 01-09-2001, 05:54 PM
Thumbs down

Flatlader:
Can you be any more of a jerk?

We all ask questions before we search. The majority of people would rather have the answer told to them than look for it themselves.

balistik1:
Several of us here have leaking back sliders. Something to do with the plastic. If you still have warrranty get it replaced but with the 2000 model frame. Personally i siliconed mine and it doesn't leak anymore.

------------------
KV
-----
'97 F150 SuperCab 4.6L Auto 2WD
Burgandy
Nerf Bars
Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflo dual 3" pipes
and tipsout the back.
SuperChip
K&N Drop-In Filter
Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs
1/4 16.747 @81.73 (this will improve)
Track Time Pics

Old 01-09-2001, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting with the 2000 model year, Ford redesigned the rear sliding window and changed the material surrounding the sliding window(which was prone to cracking). Many 97-99 models are prone to leaking because of this....cheap plastic.

I have not heard of any 2000+ windows leaking after this redesign. I agree with mileaux...have your dealer replace your slider with the new style.

Hope this helps.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 01-09-2001, 09:46 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs down

Timeout !

No offense to Dustoff but, without question Flatlander gave the best response of the three. No Way was he being a jerk.

There are many posts on the leaky slide window. balistik1 has a '97 model so ALL will apply.
Some of the posts are poor but, some are excellent. The few that had the best fix and posted it can't always keep a watchful eye for new queries on it.

By the way, there is a '99 where I work that has a different slider than my '99. I asked the owner if it was original and he said it was so I think the changeover occured sometime during that year.

(Sorry but, I got to call them like I want to see them.)

Old 01-09-2001, 09:56 PM
Red face

Dustoff: "I have not heard of any 2000+ windows leaking after this redesign. I agree with mileaux...have your dealer replace your slider with the new style."

I have a 2001 Supercrew and the slider leaked the day I picked it up from the dealer. Just an FYI.

Old 01-10-2001, 09:11 AM
Angry

Calm down knothead! I spent a countless amount of time trying to figure out how to get my back window to stop leaking. It seems that many have found different ways of fixing it especially if you don't have a warranty. On a topic like this I think comparing all the info. already here is the best way to find a solution.

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2001, 10:48 AM
Flatlander... I apologize. It just seems that folks seem to be kinda short with the new folks on the board here lately.

------------------
KV
-----
'97 F150 SuperCab 4.6L Auto 2WD
Burgandy
Nerf Bars
Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflo dual 3" pipes
and tipsout the back.
SuperChip
K&N Drop-In Filter
Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs
1/4 16.747 @81.73 (this will improve)
Track Time Pics

Old 01-10-2001, 11:36 AM
Lightbulb

ok, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic in the slightest, but I see how it could be taken the wrong way. Besides, I'm still kinda new myself

Old 01-10-2001, 01:16 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Exclamation

Too specific.

I tried 'sliding window' in just the Other Body Forum and got over 50 threads.
Including this one!

Old 01-10-2001, 01:42 PM
Come on, guys. How many new members know the first thing about doing a search on this board. Besides, you'd think a newbie would look for a topic under "rear window," but on this board, he would have gotten better results looking under "rear slider" instead.

How's a newbie to know if he doesn't ask first? Hell, there are Members who don't know about how the cookies work on this board! Have some compassion. Look at it from the newbies' point of view before you automatically talk about doing searches. At least point the newbies in the right direction with suggested topics to look up.

Some wonderful members here will even look up a topic for a newbie and post a link to it. Now, that's helpful and constructive.

Old 01-10-2001, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

mikebourg,

I would have to say that it was due to poor installation if it leaked from day one.

I will add you to the list.

Raoul..I did a search on 'sheep'..it said "see Raoul"???

Old 01-11-2001, 12:17 AM
Well, I agree with Flatlander.
According to my calculations, there are 212312 replies under 27393 topics (but you may want a recount, HA!) There is a plethora of information that many members took time to research and respond to.
Surely a search could be done before posting a question.

Old 01-11-2001, 12:46 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Thumbs up

balistik1 is new and wouldn't have known. Flatlander did good.

That's why I'm leavin' it all
up to you
You decide
watcha gonna do
Now do you want my love
or
are
we
through?

Old 01-11-2001, 12:59 AM
Talking

I just can't seem to spend my time doing something constructive. I did a search on "Leaking Back Window" for every topic. You know how many matches I got? 0, zip, zero, zilch. Now, Balistik1, there is a crack that develops in the window frame (inside, on top, next to the sliding window on mine)on almost every one of these. I first went to the local Ford Dealer and asked them about it. They tried to get me a new one for free, but it didn't happen (at 80,000 miles). They referred me to a local glass shop that had fixed a number of them. Cost me $50 to have the window pulled and sealed up. Lasted a couple months until I was hauling firewood out of a dry pond. Started leaking (just barely) the next day. I put some super glue and black gasket silicone on the crack and have had no problems for a few weeks now.

Quick Reply: back sliding windows