Silicon Paint Sealer

Old 11-03-2000, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I actually had a Dealer apply Sealant over dirt particles several years ago. I've stayed away from Paint Sealants since then.

------------------
1999 F150 4X2 SuperCab, 4.6 (Romeo). TuTone White/Gold, Bedliner, Prime Designs Bug Deflector, Ventvisors. No cracks, no Engine Mods, no Problems.

Old 11-03-2000, 08:06 PM
I had the teflon done on my cougar and it was a total waste of money. Just put a good coat of wax on it and it will be fine.

Old 11-08-2000, 12:03 AM
WASTE OF MONEY !!! I used to work for a detailer at a large Ford dealership. The undercoating is good only if you plan not to dress-up your undercarriage. The paint sealer is good, but not worth $400. You can go to your local auto parts store and buy some paint sealant. Silicone is also not the best thing to use on paint anyway. Say you need paint work (god forbid) the silicone in the paint's finish will make it harder to apply the paint with out "fish-eyes". Don't do it.

------------------
2000 Ford F-150 Super Cab Flareside 4x4 Lariat Black/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Off-Road, Class III, Installed accessories included so far are: Lund X-Terminator bug shield, Vent Shade Vent Visors, GTS headlight blackouts, Westin Black nerf bars, more to come soon... visit http://www.bmgsite.com and http://www.isurfwebdesign.com and http://www.bmgsite.com/truck for truck pics.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Waste of money? Definitely if it was applied over dirt.... This stuff seals in whatever is on the paint - but thats the point, to keep the paint "sealed"-up.

I have the PTFE paint sealant dealer applied on my new truck 4 years ago now, and I don't ever have to wax it - still looks great, water beads up and all.

I'm drinking the cool-aid and eating that proof-pudding. I need to find some for my '77.

I don't remember the brand that was used at the time, I plan on making a few calls on a new sealant I learned about in another forum, Element 119, apparently this is available from some detail shops. If I can't find someone who does it I'll buy some online from 5 Star Shine. I hope this is just as good, I'll update (with a pic) when I finally get it on!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:55 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Do you realize this thread has been dead for almost TEN YEARS?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Forums should implement like a 50 post limit before someone can post in a thread that is more than a few months old. So many people sign up simply to do the above, and then are never seen again.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:05 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
The PC forum I admin has a cutoff - any thread that has no posts after 2 years can't be replied to any more.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't see the harm of an old thread being dredged up occasionally. There is often some good, forgotten info contained in them. They can be of value as some of these trucks get older. Plus, a lot of funny threads get brought to life again and that would be a loss. I would think it a lot different from an elrctronics forum where things are quickly obsolete. Just my humble and worthless opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Silicon Paint Sealer