Windshield washer

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield washer

Who makes/sells a real good long handled window washer with a squeege attachment. I saw a nice one at SAM's last week that had a wide silicon squeege on it but the attendant didn't know where it came from. All the ones I can find at the auto parts stores are all the same, cheap plastic with a narrow sponge covered with flimsy webbing. They usually fall apart pretty quick plus the handles are so shout I still need a short step ladder to reach the center of the window. We're about to get into our that time of the year for our 'beloved' Love Bugs to start doing their thing (another reason for a real good bug screen also).

Any suggestions?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Not sure in the states where you'd look but a good hardware store, ACE maybe? or Lowe's etc. These are things where I've passed by them a hundred times but didn't need them so forgot where I'd seen em. Maybe Harbor Frieght, but look to see if there is an attachment where you can use a long broom stick for the handle. I definetely find this helps clean semi-truck w/shields nice and easy.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:40 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Whatever you find for a squeegee - go to O'Reilly's or Advance (Autozone does not carry it) and pick up a spray bottle of Seafoam Bugs B Gone. Spray it on the windshield and let it sit for a minute or so, then use the squeegee with whatever you usually use for cleaner. The bugs will come off a LOT easier.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Buy a squeegee (the ones that are just the rubber strip and the metal body) and a long, dowel/rod in the length of your choice and screw it onto the end.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Whatever you find for a squeegee - go to O'Reilly's or Advance (Autozone does not carry it) and pick up a spray bottle of Seafoam Bugs B Gone. Spray it on the windshield and let it sit for a minute or so, then use the squeegee with whatever you usually use for cleaner. The bugs will come off a LOT easier.
I finally found everything I was looking for and many many thanks for the tip about the Bug-B-Gone.

The window washer I found at Lowes. It's made by Ettore (www.ettore.com) and is called a 'Window Wand'. They have two versions, one with about a 20" handle and another with a handle extendable to 5 ft (the one I bought) (http://www.ettore.com/prod_win_combo.html). It has a machine washable cover on it.

Now, finding the Bug-B-Gone was a challenge. I had to go to 4 different Advanced Auto Parts, 2 Autozones and finally found some in stock at a Bennett's Auto Supply ($6.99). The guys at Advanced say they can't keep it in stock. I tried it on my windshield when I got home and it DOES work GREAT!

Has anyone tried it on the painted surfaces on the front of their truck? They don't say anything about NOT getting it on any painted surface so I'm kind of assuming it'll be OK to spray it on my bumper, hood, fenders and grill. I found it interesting that they claim it works for brake dust and cleaning radiators etc.

Last edited by Grunthunter; 05-16-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It's safe to use on paint if you follow the directions, but it DOES remove wax, regardless of what their FAQ says.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer