Removing Duct Tape Adhesive??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Removing Duct Tape Adhesive??

So I've got some old, hard, duct tape adhesive messy crap left on a powder coated wheel. (Had duct tape on to cover the wheel weights) The duct tape got hot and kinda slid off and left the adhesive behind. I got lazy and left in on there for a while and now it doesn't want to come off.

last effort was using Goo Gone. Sprayed it on and let it soak for a day now. It's softened up the adhesive a little, but nothing substantial. You guys know anything that will make getting this off relatively easy??

Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
So I've got some old, hard, duct tape adhesive messy crap left on a powder coated wheel. (Had duct tape on to cover the wheel weights) The duct tape got hot and kinda slid off and left the adhesive behind. I got lazy and left in on there for a while and now it doesn't want to come off.

last effort was using Goo Gone. Sprayed it on and let it soak for a day now. It's softened up the adhesive a little, but nothing substantial. You guys know anything that will make getting this off relatively easy??
WD-40 will work wonders. Spray it on and rub with a soaked rag.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used straight gasoline in the past to remove stubborn adhesives....gotta be careful where you put it though. Always spot test first. WD40 works great as well like BlueJ previously stated.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WD-40 was the first thing I grabbed, and what I normally use with excellent results...except this time. WD-40 didn't even budge this stuff. Not even a little bit. The Goo Gone has made the most progress, but even it's been slow.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The stuff must really be solidified!

Old 12-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's gotta be frustrating. Good luck to you man. Let us know how it works out.

Quick Reply: Removing Duct Tape Adhesive??