Thinking of Buying a DA

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of Buying a DA

Applying wax by hand is getting old, so I am thinking of buying a DA to speed up the process but I don't really know anything about them. I see a lot of discussion on the PC 7424XP and the Meguiar's G110 - Which is the better product?

Also, I will be using this primarily for application and removal of NXT wax - which type of pads are best for this and do I need anything else in addition to the pads and DA?

About how many pads should I expect to go through during one waxing? I know I usually go through quite a few MF towels while doing it by hand. And do you just throw the pads in the wash to clean them?

Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Now, I'm no detail expert, but if I'm not mistaken, DA's are primarily used for paint correction. Orbital polishers are more for applying/removing wax. I have a 6" orbital polisher that I used on my motorcycle that I bought for less than $20 and a 12" orbital polisher that was about $50 from Sears.
I'm going to be ordering a DA later this week for paint correction to get rid of my swirls, scratches and marring.
I've used my 6" polisher on the truck before and I used all six MF pads that I have to apply the wax. I remove by hand w/ MF towels.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Just about everyone on here applies and removes wax by hand. The thought process on this is you have worked very hard at removing swirls and scratches why add something to the mix that induce a lot of marring after all your hard work. I do this on my F350 Crew Cab and feel your pain but I also don't want to add to the time and work that's already been done just to go back and do it again.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
At work we apply wax with porter cables and polishing pads all the time. We hardly ever use finishing pads either. We are talking black paint too.

Removing wax is another story. That's always done by hand with edgeless microfibers.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Wax is one thing but the expensive stuff like Adams or Zaino is better by hand. Why watch half your money get either sucked up by the pad or flung away by the machine?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor
A good DA with a polish pad on LOW is a great way to put wax on. Remove with a good microfiber cloth. I have a rotary, a Cyclo, and a Griot's DA and the Griot's unit works great.

Call me if I can help. As you can see, the results can be quite good......

Old 12-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone actually used the new G110V2?

My PC is getting pretty tired and I'm looking at the Flex, another PC, or a G110V2. The Flex is a great machine but really not what I need to spend as a 3-4 times a year DIYer.

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
The G110V2 isn't supposed to be out until January so I doubt anyone has. Seems pretty snazzy though.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm going to say that most of the ppl on here may apply the wax via a machine BUT they take it off via hand using a HIGH quality microfiber cloth. I own a DA and can tell you that its great for what I do. If I was going to be doing this a lot (on a weekly basis) I probably would have bought a a flex or something. I've only tried the Megs pads which I like but there are other ppl who make pads also. I'm going to say that a lot of ppl on here also enjoy the LC pads. With the Meg pads Yellow is traditional for polishing and Black for finishing.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by 06xlt4x4
The G110V2 isn't supposed to be out until January so I doubt anyone has. Seems pretty snazzy though.
Yeah, I know.

I thought maybe some of the members that are also professional detailers may have been given one in advance of the release date.

Guess I'll either have to wait or be the guinea pig.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by txag2007
Applying wax by hand is getting old, so I am thinking of buying a DA to speed up the process but I don't really know anything about them. I see a lot of discussion on the PC 7424XP and the Meguiar's G110 - Which is the better product?

Also, I will be using this primarily for application and removal of NXT wax - which type of pads are best for this and do I need anything else in addition to the pads and DA?

About how many pads should I expect to go through during one waxing? I know I usually go through quite a few MF towels while doing it by hand. And do you just throw the pads in the wash to clean them?

Thanks.
If you are going to use a DA for wax application and/or removal only a 7424 or G110 is a good start...then if you want to go further down the rabbit hole and start correcting and polishing you will just need to buy proper pads and higher quality microfiber towels.

NXT goes on (By directions apply a thin even coat) and comes off like butter. Using a G110 to apply cuts my time by ¾ or less and since the 7424 has close to the same power I would guess the same applies for it though some say it's a more reliable machine since the first G110's had some quality control issues. As best as I can tell both are good machines since I have never had problems with mine. I have heard of people using microfiber pad covers to remove wax it but I prefer to do it by hand. I got 2 free red polishing pads when I bought the G110 and unless your paint is still dirty that should be adequate for application.
Final polishing and finishing pads are good for wax application.
I wash my microfiber towels in the washer but I wash my pads in the sink by hand with Dawn and rinse with an oz of white vinegar on the first rinse after almost every use.

Good luck! The rabbit hole is deep and you will not be able to just peep and wax very long.

Last edited by Old Dogg™; 12-01-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor
we have plenty of kits in stock and we have 20% off of them till the end of today.

as well we have free shipping if the order is over $200.

Take a look

Porter Cable kits

Flex XC3401 kits

Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Many deals on the PC7424xps right now ($100) probably in response to the G110v2 coming out. That is a very good price for the PC7424xp.

Personally, if I was not doing paint correction, I'd apply wax/sealants by hand (I own a DA and I still apply them by hand 90% of the time). Course, if money was not a consideration I'd pick up a DA.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the information - from what I am reading, it seems like doing it the old fashioned way is my best bet unless I start getting into polishing and correcting. I was going to get a 7424XP from DD when I saw the 20% off deal but then I realized the deal does not apply to polishers.

I think my main problem with the NXT is that I have been putting it on too thick. The last few times I have waxed, it has been a bear to get off and clogs up my microfiber quickly. I'll try to keep the layer as thin as possible and see how the removal goes.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Thinking of Buying a DA