Rust control/prevention

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rust control/prevention

Hello everyone. I have some very small chips that have resulted in the beginning stages of surface rust. in lieu of waiting untill anything gets serious, i want to get on it. i was wondering what i can do about any small chips and about deep scratches to help control/eliminate and prevent rust.

thank you

-fred

Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since nobody's taken the time to reply, I will. First, if you already have rust started, it's pretty much too late to do anything less than take it to a body shop for professional paint work. The reason being that unless you're using a product like POR-15 (Paint Over Rust), you have to totally remove the rust before painting. If you don't, the rust will just continue to creep and grow.

If you have some areas where you have chips, but no rust yet, there is hope. You can buy touch-up paint from your dealer or local auto parts store that will do a "cosmetic" repair. I say cosmetic because touch up paint just doesn't have the same harness, adhesion and corrosion resistance properties as factory applied paint. (And body shop applied paint isn't as good as factory applied paint in most cases either.) But, it will extend the life of the paint in that spot. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Rust control/prevention