rust remover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rust remover?

i have an 04 f150 that has rust on the rear end. my driveshaft as well (is this normal?). BUT there is absolutely no rust on the frame. i bought it used and all the rust was there when i bought it. the bulk of the rust is on my diff. cover and my u-bolts. i have gone under my truck with large and small wire brushes to scrape off the rust but it seems like a lost cause, especially on the driveshaft due to the size. is there any kind of rust remover i can spray/apply to rid my truck of the rust? i have a rust prevention paint to spray over it when finished, but i need to find a way to get it off first. pics to follow tomorrow

Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 AM
I would have to say that rust is not a "normal" thing. I did not know that driveshafts were supposed to rust until I started working at a body shop.It was then that I noticed that alot of trucks had rusted appearing driveshafts. We had to put a bedside on a 09 king ranch f350, and the truck only had six thousand miles on it. When we took the bed off I noticed that the driveshaft appeared to have alot of surface rust on it. I am not sure if it will cause any harm, but if painting it would make you feel better about it then do it.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have painted the undersides of 2 of my trucks with rustoleum. Never had a problem with it and it makes the underneath look brand new. Takes some time and is uncomfortable unless you have a lift..but well worth it.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 AM
sorry ive been slacking on the pics. im trying to figure out how to get them on my computer. but about the thread... what should i do to paint my u bolts? i want to hit my brakes or rims. what did you do to keep the splatter down?

Old 07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I brushed mostly everything because the paint coverage is better. If I had to spray I would put a piece of cardboard in front of the rim or some mask. There will be overspray no matter what, touchup work is part of it.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 PM
could i spray the paint into a cup and use a brush to paint it on?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:18 AM
Rust is normal on the drive shaft... People who take their trucks to the beach will notice it more do to the mists which contain salt and that will hasten the oxidation...

Quick Reply: rust remover?