Exhaust Tips Turning Orange...ish... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Tips Turning Orange...ish... HELP!!!

ive recently noticed that getting my tips clean has been getting harder and harder and they are now to the point where they are turning an orangeish color. they are chrome and i have tried using my chrome wheel cleaner and i even used a chrome polish on them but both with no results. Any suggestions

Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Don't go any further, chance are you may have somehow worn through the chrome and getting to an under layer. I used some chrome polish on one of my chrome wheels and I got the same orange discoloration. It bugs the heck out of me, but there is nothing you can do now.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:22 PM
anyone know any good quality tips to replace these with? ones that are easy to keep "chrome-looking"

Old 07-18-2009, 06:01 PM
esf
I believe automotive chrome consists of a copper layer, a nickel layer and then the chrome layer. I believe andrew is spot on with that you have removed the chrome layer and are down in to what sounds like the copper layer.

There's no such thing as "easy to keep chrome looking" when referring to tips. You could go stainless, at the most they will get surface rust but you can usually clean them up with some #0000 steel wool and a couple applications of metal polish.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tips Turning Orange...ish... HELP!!!