Polish/Wax?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Polish/Wax?!?

Hey guys. I've got an '06 FX4 SCREW, and I've been wondering about what wax to use.

For years, I used liquid glass, and usually applied three coats, and the finish would be bulletproof! No rock chips, scratching or anything else. But now I'm living where I have to apply wax outdoors, and I prefer to do it fairly quick with the weather around here.

I've used Megulars, ICE, and I've tried to buy liquid glass up here, but to no avail, and the other waxes I've used wear off in about six months, whereas the liquid glass would last up to a year or better.

I've read some consumer reports about Nufinish. I'd like to give it a shot, but has anyone had any experience with nufinish? Good or bad? It claims it's the once a year car polish, but it's cheap, so I'm a little leery about trying it out, especially if it screws up the paint.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
esf
You may want to try Collinite waxes.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:15 PM
There's a lot better out there for the money I'm sure. I have used Nufinish on my boss's truck in the past for a good 3+ years and it worked well and looked good (black F150). I also used it on the 5-6 fleet vehicles (white E150/250s) but that obviously didn't show as much but also worked well.

Personally I like the Megs products as they are silly easy to use and I get great results. I also make it a habit to wax more than once a year too, so the whole 1 year thing doesn't apply anyways. I guess even if I bought a wax that stated it lasts 3 years and literally did last that long, I'd probably still wax it again

Old 04-10-2009, 04:47 PM
LRG
There are lots of good waxes out there (Megs, Chemical Guys, Poor Boys, many more). Why not wax more than once a year? It only takes a few minutes to throw on a coat.

I'm not sure there's any wax out there that's going to prevent rock chips, a rock flying at you on the highway at 70mph while you're going 70mph in the opposite direction? I don't see how a few microns of wax is going to do much to stop it.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Suspended
No offense, but you weren't getting a year of coverage from that wax, or any wax.

I also doubt you got 6 months from Meguiar's waxes or ICE did either.

Most quality waxes will give you about 2 months of coverage, some of the really exceptional products MIGHT squeeze our 3-4 months in best case scenarios.

Like LRG said, wax also doesn't help with rocks chips... it's a micro thin layer of product that is not intended to dry and be harder than steel.

At any rate, myths aside, like ESF said buy some Collinite 845 online. It should run about $15~ give or take, and is generally considered to be one of the longer lasting waxes out there.

Oh, Consumer Reports is a bs publication... they don't know their faces from their ***** when it comes to ANYTHING, and especially not waxes. NuFinish isn't good enough to wax a bicycle... it's crap.

Quick Reply: Polish/Wax?!?