Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Question

When I bought my truck it had some marks in the paint. There are a few areas that look like someone may have sprayed something on it and on the hood it looks like something has been splashed on it. I have washed the truck several times and they are still there. What I was wondering is if I could just cut and polish the paint or if I am going to have to do a repaint? I have read the posts about using the clay bars. Are those just like wax? I can post pics of the areas on my truck that needs attention. My truck it black and I want it to look good and smooth.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Try the least aggressive way of removing the particles. Buy a clay kit and try to remove the particles. The clay is very easy to use. The kit should come with a spray to use as a lubricant and a bar of clay. Wash your truck first. Split the clay bar in 2 or 3 pieces, if you drop a piece then throw it away and use a new piece. When the clay gets dirty, just fold it over and keep going. I usually do an area 2'x2' at a time. Hopefully this will remove most/all particles.

Kevin

Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Are there different types of clay and if so what one should I use for black paint?

Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 PM
With out seeing what your paint looks like none of us can recomend anything to help correct your problem. Can you get us some pictures of the effected area's in direct sun light. Clay will remove contimination from your paint but if what you are seeing is a shaudy repair or clear coat failure clay wont fix it. Get some pic post em up and lets see what you are actually dealing with.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:09 PM
make sure u r doinging right don't damage the paint

Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
What I would recommend first is to go purchase some buffing compound and try to polish up the affected areas.I'd stay away from super duty compounds as the can cut to much material to fast for someone that has little experience in buffing.If after that your problem still exists,go purchase some 2000 grit wet sand paper and lightly sand the damaged areas only! this fine of a grit will only cut a very minimal amount of material off your finish. I would sand the area just until it becomes dull. Then buff that area with a buffing compound to try to bring the shine back up.If after all these steps your affected area is still not flawless then I'd say you need to consider refinishing the panel.As far as clay bars are concerned I wouldn't recommend using them on dark colored vehicles. Black no way!! Clay bars do put micro scratches in a finish.If you uses them please make sure to use plenty of soap as a lubricant.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by ad2tude
What I would recommend first is to go purchase some buffing compound and try to polish up the affected areas.I'd stay away from super duty compounds as the can cut to much material to fast for someone that has little experience in buffing.If after that your problem still exists,go purchase some 2000 grit wet sand paper and lightly sand the damaged areas only! this fine of a grit will only cut a very minimal amount of material off your finish. I would sand the area just until it becomes dull. Then buff that area with a buffing compound to try to bring the shine back up.If after all these steps your affected area is still not flawless then I'd say you need to consider refinishing the panel.As far as clay bars are concerned I wouldn't recommend using them on dark colored vehicles. Black no way!! Clay bars do put micro scratches in a finish.If you uses them please make sure to use plenty of soap as a lubricant.
You are joking right?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Why would you say that

Old 03-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Why would you say that
With out seeing the problem you are going to turn someone loose on a problem with a very agressive solution that could damage the paint even more than it may be? Least agressive first and work up to correct any given problem. You wouldnt use a sledge hammer to drive a finish nail would you?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Exactly what do you plan on determining from a photo? If you called my shop and asked me to write you a estimate on repairing you vehicle off a picture I'd laugh at you then state that's impossible. A picture of this persons situation is basically useless. Can you feel a flaw through a picture? Can you get the correct depth of a possible through a picture? I have been painting cars in a large up scale shop for several years now and wouldn't suggest something to someone that might jeopardize the finish on their vehicle. I can't speak for your knowledge in the auto re-finish field, but if one were to purchase or rent a orbital buffer if their not comfortable using a regular buffer I don't see how they could create more damage then they already have. Have you ever used 2000 grit sand paper?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
I am not trying to start a fight and I dont do this for a living nor have I have ever wet sanded a vehicle with 2000 grit. I am very new to detailing compared to RollingRock, GipRaw, Boss429, HWM3, and RockPick but they wouldnt tell him to go after his paint with rubbing compond with out at least trying to asses the situation with out at least looking at a picture of the problem. All I was asking is for him to post some pics and let them look at them and try and help him I am in no way comfortable giving this gentleman advice on how to correct the problem. Not trying to take away or say that you have no experience in this at all. I apologize if I came off that way are we good?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:55 PM
esf
I would start by claying. There are basically three levels of clay. Stay with mild. Something like the Meg's Smooth Surface clay kit or the Mothers clay kit should be fine, though you may run out of lube so it might be a good idea to pick up a bottle of Meg's Quik Detailer just incase. If you drop the clay, throw it out. That's why it was suggested you break it up so if you drop one piece, you have another. Clay will remove anything that's imbedded in the paint. It's a very safe method and is used by all real detailers. You spray a section of the panel down with the lubricant and using your palm, glide the clay over that same section. You don't have to get crazy and press down super hard. Just a little pressure. Contine on to do the entire vehicle or I guess until your satisfied but I suggest the entire thing. Just make sure you keep folding the clay over itself and kneading it like dough as it gets dirty. Dirty clay can induce marring. If you're not sure if it's dirty enough to fold or knead, then do it anyway since it won't hurt. Pictures wouldn't hurt either. What color does the splash look like? Any idea what it is? Tar, sap, etc? Something like Stoner's Tarminator may work if it's infact something that's sitting atop the paint. Even after all of these steps, you may still find you need to cut the paint with a polish. Is it possible that the truck was repainted and it's just a bad paint job? If it's a bad paint job, like someting screwed up the clear, it may be saveable by a professional detailer or bodyshop who can wet sand it down and polish it back out.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:33 PM
If washing didn't do anything I would clay using either the white or blue clay since your vehicle is black(do not use red). If that don't work try some thinner. And if that doesn't work, well its a paint defect then you can try wet sanding using the 2000grit or take to someone if your not comfortable with trying to fix it yourself.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly what do you plan on determining from a photo? If you called my shop and asked me to write you a estimate on repairing you vehicle off a picture I'd laugh at you then state that's impossible. A picture of this persons situation is basically useless. Can you feel a flaw through a picture? Can you get the correct depth of a possible through a picture? I have been painting cars in a large up scale shop for several years now and wouldn't suggest something to someone that might jeopardize the finish on their vehicle. I can't speak for your knowledge in the auto re-finish field, but if one were to purchase or rent a orbital buffer if their not comfortable using a regular buffer I don't see how they could create more damage then they already have. Have you ever used 2000 grit sand paper?
ad2tude, you're an idiot! Yes, you CAN tell a lot from a picture of paint problems, especially some of the experts on this board. You're right, if I took a picture of my engine andf sent it in, no one could troubleshoot a miss from just a picture, but you're just WRONG on the picture/paint issue.

There are some very good paint correction products out there, so advising someone to sand the finish w/o trying them, is just plain goofy.

Jim

Old 03-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Did you buy this truck new ? if so post some pix of your problem so we can see what you are talking about.
Sometimes during the paint process in the clear coating stage when the painter on the side of the truck where the problem is could be solvent splash this is from the painter cleaning his gun.
It happens once in a while. How do I know ? I've painted over 1.5 million F-150 trucks at Norfolk Assembly Plant and when we are rolling 63 trucks an hour non stop things happen and can end up at the dealers.

Quick Reply: Paint Question