Tips 4 me

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips 4 me

Going to be 50degrees tommorow and think its time for some early detailing.Spring is coming I hope.Stopped at the parts store and got megs ultimate compound and nxt paste wax.I have been on here talking about cat scratches before and Im ready to try this again with a new product.I will be trying to remove scratches by hand and I hope the megs compound will get them out not just mask them untill the next wash.Any tips on how to apply this Im dont want to f### my truck up. Also the scatches are not deep enough to get a finger nail on them and the do come out with wax but as you guys now they come right back after a couple washes and they are only noticable in direct sun light.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Hmmm, if the the scratches aren't that deep, you might wanna try SratchX 2.0 first.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I would advise strong caution going with that compound first. Maybe try something less abrasive first since you can't feel them. Maybe scratchX or swirlX. Just keep "least invasive first" in mind. It may be fine but I'd sure be careful.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 PM
I tried turtle wax polishing compound before results were no better than plain old wax.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Originally Posted by fitz888
I tried turtle wax polishing compound before results were no better than plain old wax.
That's dangerous stuff to use on clearcoat. Read the detailing sticky, I'd wash, clay, and then ColorX or DC step 1. Then use ScratchX 2.0 on any remaining scratches. I would avoid using any kind of "compound" if possible. Leave that stuff to the experienced people with machines.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
esf
Ultimate Compound will probably work but there is a bit of risk with such an abrasive product. However, it is less abrasive than 105. Technique is so important when doing it by hand. You need to apply even pressure to the applicator or you risk leaving more imperfections that what you started with. Similar to using a block for sanding so you don't leave finger marks. Same thing happens with polishing by hand if you're not careful. If you can't feel them I'd definitely try something like ScratchX2.0 first. Even SwirlX if you can find that. Just make sure you're working the product and not just applying it like a wax. Try using a terry cloth towel. It has more cut than a foam applicator and mf.

Quick Reply: Tips 4 me