Wax on powdercoat ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax on powdercoat ???

First off, will powder coating ever oxidize, or fail due to sunlight and weather ?

My bumpers are satin black finish. So, yesterday while I was handwaxing the rest of the truck, I accidentally brushed some wax on a small spot of two of the bumper, and it made it look blacker, but also shinier.... which I'm not sure if that's what I want. Probably wouldn't match my wheels so well then (I think they are satin black powder coated as well).... but then again, what if I waxed those too ???

Hmmmm,
Anyone ?
Fish

Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Powder coating will eventually fail - just like paint - but will not oxidize as in rust. You will eventually see is some oxidation of the coating where it starts to chalk up and turn white. What you will probably run into first though is where the coating is compromised and the substrate starts to oxidize - as in rust. That comes from scratches, areas with low coating thickness, etc.

As for care of powder coated surfaces, you can treat them pretty much just like a painted sirface and regular waxes and sealants will not hurt them. In fact, they will help prevent oxidation of the coating itself by protecting it from the sun's UV rays.

As for where you have powder coating on your truck, you may have some on aftermarket wheels, but your factory bumpers are just black paint.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Powdercoat is extreamly hard as compared to automotive paint. Also it's a single stage as opposed to normal paint our our trucks. It will oxidize over time.

I have tried a few compounds, polishes, and waxes on mine. Primarily on my toolbox and Grill Guard and Secondarily on my nerf bars. Anything less aggressive than meg's #80 would barely touch them. ScratchX did nothing. Polsihes were less than useless. I'm guessing due to them not being able to penetrate.

A wax with plenty of fillers in it has been my best bet so far. #26 wasn't very good, Natty's Red worked well but also tended to smear (leaving greasy darker streaks). Best I've tried so far was Meg's #16 for look and durability. (eventhough a few have said it was a waste of #16)

If you find something that works stellar let me know, I'm still trying to find that magic number.

So be aware that any of this will shine that stuff up, so if you're looking for flat black check some other stuff. There's a few people on here that has worked with the flat black on hoods and such. I won't recomend anything since I haven't touched one myself.

Keep rockin' the camo!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys....

Hey 2stroked, my bumpers are actually powder coated. I had to get them done that way, because they came chromed :-) They arew actually a bit darker than the dark gray factory bumpers too though.

Hey Jolly-Green, yea' I do like the satiny look....
Ya' know, come to think of it, I have a good aquaintence who has a very cool satin black, with metallic purple scallops, 1952 pickup {I wanted to post a shot of his old truck here.... but its a ... cough.. choke... Chevy :-)
I need to ask him what he uses on it, because it always looks great !
Of course that is paint, but it sure looks like my satin black powder coated bumpers.

Oh, and hey, I can't BS you........ I haven't actually done my Camo rocker panels "yet".... But I have the 3M camo trim kit right here in my closet.... and will probably do it {for real... not just photo shop} next Spring, right before my hardcore fishing starts, and the boat gets hooked to the truck almost permanently :-)

Peace,
Fish

Old 12-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Oh, and hey, I can't BS you........ I haven't actually done my Camo rocker panels "yet".... But I have the 3M camo trim kit right here in my closet.... and will probably do it {for real... not just photo shop} next Spring, right before my hardcore fishing starts, and the boat gets hooked to the truck almost permanently :-)
It's not too late to change your mind. J/K lol

Quick Reply: Wax on powdercoat ???