help end the confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help end the confusion

hello i want to do a good detail to my truck (03 screw) but it seems the more i read the more confuse i get..lol.. so my question is i already purchased the megs 3 step is it possible to get great results by hand or do i have to get a random orbital polisher? and are there any out there that are cheaper then the porter cable or the meguires

Old 04-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Suspended
My suggestion is going to be to do it by hand, which will work fine with those products, and wait until you can afford the G100 or PC 7242.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 AM
is a random orbital and a dual action the same thing?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
You can get great results by hand. Just know that it's an arm buster.

This is fx4life's truck after he did the 3 step by hand. (doubt he'll mind a pic)

Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
You can get great results by hand. Just know that it's an arm buster.

This is fx4life's truck after he did the 3 step by hand. (doubt he'll mind a pic)

wow !!! thats a hell of a truck but i doubt any waxing is gonna make my truck look like that lmao......i'm just wondering if one of the "cheaper" brands of dual action would work? i just looked at a palm DA(random orbital) for 29 bux what would the difference between that and a pc or g100? are they variable speed?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by uncleglenny
...i'm just wondering if one of the "cheaper" brands of dual action would work? i just looked at a palm DA(random orbital) for 29 bux what would the difference between that and a pc or g100? are they variable speed?
Dual action and random orbital are 2 different beasts. There is a reason why they are priced so differently.

Really, unless you inherit a random orbital, they arent worth the price and hassle. I think only 2 of us here are at all knowledgeable with them (ie: JollyGreenGiant and myself), so although we would be more than willing to help, just be aware that most people will not be able to help you out.

Random orbitals are fine; they offer just a touch more ability than by hand, but they dont offer nearly the ability of a Dual-Action (BTW-- Thumper-- is it 7424 or 7242? I cant remember...).

Personally, I'd save your $ and do it by hand, especially considering the product choice. I love the 3 step, and although I have worked some magic with a random orbital and the 3 step, I would stick to a manual operation.

Remember to take befores and afters!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 AM
you ask is it possible, well it is possible but not probable in a megs 3 step by hand....

#1 what color do you have??

#2 how bad have you abused the trucks finish??...how often is it washed/cleaned and how is it washed....

#3 where is you vehicle parked, garaged/covered or not?

your vehicle is 6 years old...it is going to take a little more than a vehicle that is a year or two old...not always but the answers to #1 #2 and #3 being the same a newer car will have better results by hand

suggestion get a machine and some products...test on girlfriends car till you get it right or use the company car as a test or rent a car for the weekend ask for red or black no need to get the caddy get the ferrari red ford festiva for $29 bucks for the weekend and go to town.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 AM
The 3 step will be fine by hand for you based on what it sounds like you are looking for.

troberts-- I am pretty sure he just wants to make his truck look better, not like a showroom queen. You need to realize that not everyone is after perfection. Some (many) people just want to make their vehicles look better than the average car, thus a line like the 3-step is perfect for them, especially since they dont have to get a machine and learn how to use it. Realize that everyone does NOT think like you.

Off my soapbox.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
My suggestion (from one who is not OCD) if you plan on using the 3 step by hand and want to buy your supplies at Wallymart or Autozone:

1. Wash and clay first, use either Gold Class or NXT Wash and a Mothers or Megs clay kit.
2. Replace step 3 with NXT 2.0 and do 2 coats 12 hours apart.
3. Get some Ultimate Quick Detailer and use it after every wash job.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
The 3 step will be fine by hand for you based on what it sounds like you are looking for.

troberts-- I am pretty sure he just wants to make his truck look better, not like a showroom queen. You need to realize that not everyone is after perfection. Some (many) people just want to make their vehicles look better than the average car, thus a line like the 3-step is perfect for them, especially since they dont have to get a machine and learn how to use it. Realize that everyone does NOT think like you.

Off my soapbox.

sorry it thats how you read the response...i took it when he said detail and make it look great not just look good or better, almost anything is better than nothing, but when someone is looking to getting a machine of any kind, why only do it 1/2 ****? with words like will it look great by hand and a question of machine...i think that he already knows how it will end up doing it by hand and already has doubts that is why he brought up the question of a machine.

i wil get off my soap box now

Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by troberts6874
sorry it thats how you read the response...i took it when he said detail and make it look great not just look good or better, almost anything is better than nothing, but when someone is looking to getting a machine of any kind, why only do it 1/2 ****? with words like will it look great by hand and a question of machine...i think that he already knows how it will end up doing it by hand and already has doubts that is why he brought up the question of a machine.

i wil get off my soap box now
Rather than us arguing over what he meant, I think we can agree on the following points (see below this paragraph for those), and I vote we should leave it at that. I will show the deference to say that you know a LOT more about rotary use (that is you, right?), and you have undeniable results. I am more of a shadetree detailer-type. Thus our opinions will always differ, but the following points should match both positions from what I can tell:

NOTE: "you" is used following here to mean any reader, not any specific person.

1. Since many people mistake the word "detailer" to mean someone who slaps on a coat of wax, when somebody wants to 'detail' their car, unless they are specific, their intention is inherently ambiguous.

2. If you are interested in making your truck look better for an expenditure of less than $50, the 3-step plus clay (and maybe NXT) is a great route.

3. If you are interested in a bit less than that, Color-X or similar is a great option for a sub-$20 option.

4. If interested in more than that, and are considering taking this 'detailing' thing seriously, a DA package or a PC 7424 plus a bunch of goodies is a great option.

5. If experienced with detailing or you have some test panels to work on, a rotary buffer is an excellent option to yield FAST and professional results. It generates the RPMs and heat necessary to attain the maximum benefit of a product and is capable of far more than the D/A.

6. People should be more specific when they want assistance so as to help avoid 2 'senior members' arguing over a moot point. (is that the right word???)

In any case, I dont feel like arguing, and I think it is making us both look bad, so I am ready to extend the olive branch. 2 different schools of thought, but hopefully we can agree on the above 6 points (well, at least the first 5. The 6th was sort of a case-specific problem this time, but it occurs often).

Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
ok this might be fuel on the fire but this is what i bought http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

now i have to get suggestions on materials (wax/cleaner wax) and steps required, sorry i started another thread for basically the same thing.

i basically want a great wet look finish, but as this is my daily driver i realize thats not always possible, my truck is bright red and the hood is the "worst" spot with only light "spider web marks if it helps maybe post some pics?

Last edited by uncleglenny; 04-28-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by uncleglenny
ok this might be fuel on the fire but this is what i bought http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

now i have to get suggestions on materials (wax/cleaner wax) and steps required, sorry i started another thread for basically the same thing.

i basically want a great wet look finish, but as this is my daily driver i realize thats not always possible, my truck is bright red and the hood is the "worst" spot with only light "spider web marks if it helps maybe post some pics?
I will write a longer response tomorrow, but for now, have you checked out the sticky?

I havent read it in a while, and I cant remember what I wrote, but I thought I put stuff in there about products with the DA... If not, a search will give you that kind of answer.

In short, there are a TON of options, and to put it into the words of Mike Phillips: "Find something you like and use it often", meaning that you should find what YOU like, then get comfortable with it.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 AM
sorry sport i thought the " " would give the humor in response...i guess what is written and how it is read is different...like jerimiah wright....when he speaks some people cheer some people cringe.

but it looks as though uncleglenny bought a machine....i thought he was looking for more than just a wax

Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by troberts6874
sorry sport i thought the " " would give the humor in response...i guess what is written and how it is read is different...like jerimiah wright....when he speaks some people cheer some people cringe.

but it looks as though uncleglenny bought a machine....i thought he was looking for more than just a wax
I did catch the humor, but I figured that some of the newbs here may not understand what we were debating... but I have no idea who jeremih wright is

Yep, I guess you were right... of course, by now, I forgot what his original post said, so I guess I should start re-reading entire threads rather than most recent posts...

Quick Reply: help end the confusion