Trouble using 80

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble using 80

Hey guys, so I am trying to use mes 80 right now. I tried using an orbital waxer at first, but it seemed that the 80 was drying when I used it. Also I am using a hand pad now and it still seems to be drying too quick. Any advice on how to do it without it drying? Also it seems like there are still small scratches that it isn't removing.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
Hey guys, so I am trying to use mes 80 right now. I tried using an orbital waxer at first, but it seemed that the 80 was drying when I used it. Also I am using a hand pad now and it still seems to be drying too quick. Any advice on how to do it without it drying? Also it seems like there are still small scratches that it isn't removing.

Thanks
Are doing this in the sun by chance? Is the surface hot?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:42 PM
no it is in my garage where it is cool. I am doing it by hand now. It isn't hard to get off now, but on my hood, some of the miniature scratches aren't coming off

Old 04-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Hmmm... Maybe you are working it too long, but I have an UNTESTED idea:

fill a spray bottle with water. before it dries, mist it lightly.

I dont have a clue if this will work, but it may be worth a try.

Also, it may take several passes, especially by hand.

Zach-- Your insight here will be priceless; you used #80 by hand for a long time...

Andrew-- Where do you live? If you're nearby, I'd be happy to help out.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
yeah I am in California, I think you are in Texas, but thanks for the help. I just did my truck by hand, but it still seems like it didn't do that great of a job taking away scratches. I can still see small ones in the sun and light. How much are you supposed to apply? It seems like when I was doing it I would spread it and it would be instantly dry...

Old 04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Ok so I am kinda scared now because I just took my truck into the sun to look at it and it has swirls all over it .... What the heck do I do now. I was planning on putting on 7 next, but should I go buy some 9 and put that on. Will that remove the swirls and why would the 80 do this? It seemed to me as soon as I applied it, it was dry. Was I not putting enough on?

Old 04-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Suspended
#80, the product itself, did not induce any scratches. Something you're doing is inducing the swirls or they were already there before.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
specifically.. What are you using to apply it by hand?

How are you applying it? how much prodcut, how big an area are you working, how are you removing it, etc?

be as specific as possible with the process you are currently using.

and when you say oribital waxer, do you mean one of the 10" , $50 waxmaster types?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Gipraw
and when you say oribital waxer, do you mean one of the 10" , $50 waxmaster types?
Yes.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like we mentioned in your last thread, the orbital simply isn't powerful enough to properly break down a product like #80. What you're seeing is a result of either incomplete breakdown of the product or swirls being induced by improper machine/pad/bonnet usage.

#80 isn't a great product to play with by hand -- while it can be done, it's a bear. As Ryan mentioned, use a bottle of water and lightly mist it to aid in the removal of the product. Under no circumstance should you allow #80 to dry to the surface...

My hunch is that you may also be inducing problems (swirls/straight-line scratches/etc) by trying to remove dried product on your paint.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 PM
ya.... I think that I induced the swirls (which were very small and only visible in the sun) I stopped using the orbital after the first panel because It wasn't working right. I used a microfiber pad to apply it and a microfiber towel to remove. I did about a square foot per application and tried to remove as quick as possible, but it still seemed like it was dry. My car was cool too.

I went over to kragen auto and they didnt have megs swirls remover, but turtle wax swirl remover. I used that and it worked beautifully. I'm almost done applying my other stuff and it looks great.

I think I induced the swirling (it wasn't there before) when using the 80 :o

Old 04-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear that it's coming together... also, I'm glad to hear that you found a product that it working for you (the TWSR) the way that *you* want it to work.

We'll look forward to the pictures..

Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Suspended
Sounds like it was induced from that buffer than. Glad you started getting some results !!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:01 AM
So here is what I did....

Started off by cleaning out engine with simple green then hot rims tire shine
Washed car with Megs Gold Class
Mild Blue Clay Bar
Megs 80 .... 1 panel by orbital, rest by hand
I realized I induced swirling on my car (it looked funny in the sun reflection)
Ran to Kragen to get Megs swirls remover but all they had was turtle wax swirl remover
It worked like a charm and removed all the swirls
Applied 7
Applied 21
Applied 26

The paint looks great... it was fairly dark when I finished, but it looks good and feels good.

My hood still has lots of scratches on it that are visible in the light. I think stupid kids at school will put their binders on my hood and then slide it to them or something when they pick it up (and it has the sand paper effect)

I applied the turtle wax swirl remover twice to the hood, but they are still there. Do you suggest I scratch x most of the hood?

I couldn't pick up the scratches in the camera , but here are a few pics from inside the garage.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Suspended
It looks good !!

Quick Reply: Trouble using 80