Detailing insight needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing insight needed...

Back in November, I purchased a 2005 F150 FX4. I have always owned lighter cars, but decided to go to the dark side (no pun intended.) I don't have any experience with black vehicles and need some help. I am very meticulous with my vehicles and keep them very clean and shiny, but we all know that black paint is a different beast! The truck has the usual small scratches and swirls that a 3 year old vehicle would.

What would you all recommend to get out the light swirls and scratches?

Buy an electric buffer? Do it by hand? What supplies? I have heard Meguiars 3 step is good?

I appreciate any info.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
If you haven't yet, check out the stickies at the top of the page. There's a plethera of good info that can get you rolling in the right direction.

Otherwise, some good pictures would help us give you advice on what may be needed.

The 3-step system is a good OTC product for those with a light wallet, or those who don't really want to get too in-depth.

There are many many many products out there that can do what you want to do. It all comes down to desire and money.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^+1 I coud not have said it much better. I however would also like to recomend pb black hole. I just got mine in today and its raining so I can't try it yet. But a few other members have tried it out and had great success with it. I hope I do to.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Suspended
I'd suggest you read the sticky, it might take a hour or two but it'll be well worth it. I'd also highly suggest you pick up a Meguiars G100 dual action polisher. It's idiot proof, almost. However this is my suggestion for a procedure with a Black vehicle.
  1. Wash with Meguiars Gold Class, Using the two bucket method with grit guards.
  2. Clay with Meguiars Clay or Poorboys Clay.
  3. #80 (Polish) with G100
  4. Poorboy's Black Hole (Finer Polish) with G100
  5. Poorboy's EX Sealant with G100
  6. Meguiars #26 (Carnuba Wax)

These are pictures of my car using the preceding procedure.

AutoDetailingSolutions.com and AutoGeek.net are two great places to order your products from ..

Old 04-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
You're **** retentive about the appearance of your car and you just bought a black vehicle? Sounds to me as if you also have a sadistic streak in you somewhere!

As far as a 3-year-old black vehicle goes, I suspect the Meguiar's 3-Step procedure won't have enough "cut" to give you the kind of results you are looking for. A machine polisher (choose your weapon of choice) needs to be on your short list of things to get for the new truck!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:10 PM
I appreciate the help guys, I will read the sticky. Sorry for the newb question, I know they get repetitive.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Fx4OffRd
I appreciate the help guys, I will read the sticky. Sorry for the newb question, I know they get repetitive.
It's cool, this section of the forum is probably the most forgiving in this aspect. One last question, how much are you willing to spend to get the correct supplies and tools? Once you get hooked you'll want to always have the latest and greatest. I don't even want to imagine how much I spent on my detailing supplies and sadly enough it's minimal compared to guys like Brad, Dan, and Boss.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
^Thanks. Money is really not an issue, however I don't really want to go way overboard. I am pretty much willing to spend the money to get my truck looking great again. The previous owner kept great care of the interior, but the exterior is kind of swirly.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
i also have an 05 black f-150 with the same problem. I apologize ahead of time if i'm stealing your thread in any way but i am also a newb. I'm planning on purchasing either one of the DA packages from autodetailingsolutions.com or the one with the portercable 7424 from autogeek.com. Which one would be best suited? I've heard good things about the lake country pads that come with the portercable but i'm clueless about the Pinnacle XMT products. I've always been a fan of Megs and if these is the best route for me then could i get by with purchasing the #2 package from ADS or should i shoot for #3? thanks guys

Old 04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
jfarris - It may be a good idea to start your own thread in the future. Not only are you bound to get more hits, you won't anger the OP.

The topics you asked about are talked about quite often here as well. The G100 and PC7424 are essentially the same machine. The G110 is completely different and I haven't heard anything good about it.

Product choice comes down to personal preference really. Using the proper techniques and combos you can do well with any product line.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by jfarris05
i also have an 05 black f-150 with the same problem. I apologize ahead of time if i'm stealing your thread in any way but i am also a newb. I'm planning on purchasing either one of the DA packages from autodetailingsolutions.com or the one with the portercable 7424 from autogeek.com. Which one would be best suited? I've heard good things about the lake country pads that come with the portercable but i'm clueless about the Pinnacle XMT products. I've always been a fan of Megs and if these is the best route for me then could i get by with purchasing the #2 package from ADS or should i shoot for #3? thanks guys
I'd stick with getting the G100 from ADS. It's got a lifetime warranty because it's a Meguiars branded product but it's the same thing as the 7424. I'd also get Pkg #3 plus a few other things like I've listed for FX4OffRd. I like the Meguiars pad but the Lake Country pads are good as well. If your vehicle is a dark color, I'd pick up all of the products I listed as a starting point, a very good starting point.

Originally Posted by Fx4OffRd
^Thanks. Money is really not an issue, however I don't really want to go way overboard. I am pretty much willing to spend the money to get my truck looking great again. The previous owner kept great care of the interior, but the exterior is kind of swirly.
I'd buy Pkg #3 from AutoDetailingSolutions.com. I'd recommend buying 2 more 8006 and 9006 pads.

http://autodetailingsolutions.com/Po...20Specials.htm

Here's a bunch of other stuff you'll want to buy plus microfiber towels. I recommend getting about 5 Meguiars Supreme Shine towel plus a bunch
of ADS "Blue" towels to use as bulk towels.

Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo

Meguiars Clay Bars

Meguiars #80

Poorboy's Black Hole

Poorboy's EX Sealant

Meguiars #26

Grit Guards

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 04-17-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I cant thank you enough, you've been a huge help

Old 04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Suspended
No problem, I don't mind helping out others. Re-read my post though because I have edited it a few times.

Quick Reply: Detailing insight needed...