poorboy's???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poorboy's???

just wondering, since i am getting a new truck i want to start things off right. like stated i am going to put it in writing that i dont want the dealership to touch it when it gets in and im going to clay, possibly polish, seal and wax the truck.

i was just wondering if i should go ahead and buy quality product for it???

what are the ohh masterful mens opinions???

Old 01-25-2008, 01:18 PM
I would go ahead and order the stuff...poorboys is definitely great stuff and autogeek would be my recommendation on where to get it...u definitely starting out on the right foot! congrats

Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Midnight05
i was just wondering if i should go ahead and buy quality product for it???

what are the ohh masterful mens opinions???
There are numerous options for you to choose from with Poorboy products being one of them. I use products from several different companies. (Megs, ClearKote, Poorboys & Collinite) You definitely can't go wrong with sticking to one product line and perfecting it. It is all a personal choice on what works best for you with the color of paint on your vehicle. There are numerous elders on this forum that can help you determine which is a best fit for you. I would recommend you read the sticky at the top of the page, if you haven't already. Have fun!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
poorboys is an excellent product, i would definately look into their products, they are probaly the most liked company around here, also look into meguiars professional products, they are good as well

Old 01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
well the truck is the worst paint of them all...... BLACK....... i dont have a PC yet but plan on getting one can anyone recommend exactly the product that i should get to first prep my truck when i recieve it, and then maintain the truck throughout its life.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM
well the truck is the worst paint of them all...... BLACK....... i dont have a PC yet but plan on getting one can anyone recommend exactly the product that i should get to first prep my truck when i recieve it, and then maintain the truck throughout its life.
I use mainly Meguiar's products, so I would recommend the following ():

To do your first detail -
1. give it a good wash with a quality soap (Meg's Gold Class)
2. clay (Meg's Smooth Surface Clay Kit)
3. polish (Meg's #7 or DC#2) - assuming that it doesn't need any correction since it's brand new
4. seal/wax (I'd go with Meg's #21 followed by #26 - I used this combo on my black truck and loved the results). If you don't have any of the Meg's Professional products, you could go with NXT followed by DC#3 or possibly Gold Class or just 2 coats of NXT.

You should be able to find most of these products at any auto parts store or wally world - the professional line will be hit and miss however. This also can all be done by hand, if you prefer.

To maintain the truck throughout its life -
Pretty much follow the steps above, except add a "correction step" in between clay and polish. After doing this by hand for the past 10 years, I purchased a PC recently and will tell you that it is money well spent.
In this step, you will remove the swirls and other defects that may occur. To accomplish this you can use Meg's #9, #82, #80 or #83. #83 is about the most aggressive you'll want to get with the PC but it can be a little difficult to work with. And if your keeping up with maintaining the paint, you'll probably never need it anyway. I would definitely recommend having #80 as it can fix probably 90% or more of the problems you'll come across. Also #9 would be good to have because it's less aggressive than #80 and you always want to start with the least aggressive approach when doing correction.

Depending on the environment your truck is in, you'll probably find that you'll want to do a full detail once every 3-4 months. Maybe less often if your truck is garaged and doesn't get much abuse. Possibly more if it's exposed to the elements more often. Other than that, keep up with washing it and QDing.

There are others on here who know 1000x more than me, but this should get you off to a good start. Always feel free to ask questions. There are several here who can give you excellent advice - as they've given to me. They also can recommend other product lines that I'm not familiar with - there are tons out there. If you're looking to use Poorboy's products, wait for RR to come around. He'll take you to school on their line-up.

Good luck.

Last edited by FlyerFX4; 01-25-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by FlyerFX4
If you're looking to use Poorboy's products, wait for RR to come around. He'll take you to school on their line-up.

Good luck.
FlyerFX4, great post by the way.

I'll throw my hat in the ring here and Ill be brief as to not overwhelm you with data.

Since you are going to have NEW paint, I wouldn't think you need any aggressive polishes.

If it were mine and knowing what I know about Poorboys Products (It is the title of your thread)

I would simple get the following:
PB Poly Elastic Clay Bar (Or Megs Blue)
Poorboys Super Suds and Wash (for washing)
PB Professional Polish
PB-EX-P
PB Natty's Red (if you can find it, if not, get Natty's Blue)
PB Natural Look (for interior if you wanted to)No real need to use it right now, simple damp cloth is all you need unless you are a dirty person.
Megs Hyperdressing (A MUST HAVE)
Megs #34 QD or Xtreem Final Detail QD

Bonus products to get on your radar for "black"
PB PwC Blue (Polish with Carnuba) Blue is for dark colors
PB PwS (Polish with Sealant)
PB SSR1 (Super Swirl Remover) I don't think you need anything more than that EVER if you take care of your paint from day 1.
ClearKote Vanilla Moose hand Glaze.

Or you could just get some Optimum Polish and some Natty's and call it a day. A bottle of Optimum should last you 5 years.

Or you could stick with Megs,

If it were mine, brand new off the lot, I would use my first suggestion on the Poorboys.

Did you want to discuss DA's and Pads?

Last edited by RollingRock; 01-25-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock

Megs Hyperdressing (A MUST HAVE)
How did I forget Hyperdressing? I guess I got too caught up in paint care.

Definitely get this stuff.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 PM

PB Natty's Red ..you can find it..

PB Natural Look (for interior if you wanted to)No real need to use it right now, simple damp cloth is all you need unless you are a dirty person.

Natty's Red

Whatcha sayin RR? Just kiddin... Smokers ruin interiors... Don't ever be one with a new truck!

P.S. I tried to send you this link JP, but I guess your e-mail doesn't like mine.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by attworth
Natty's Red

Whatcha sayin RR? Just kiddin... Smokers ruin interiors... Don't ever be one with a new truck!
No that is not what I am saying....The point is, that with a new interior you really don't need dressing, you can use a damp MF to wipe down the dash and such.....

Of course if you want to use a dressing wipe away.

Thanks for that link...all my sources are out of Red and I have bought up some extra and gave to family as gifts. I have more LSP than I need right now.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 AM
No that is not what I am saying....The point is, that with a new interior you really don't need dressing, you can use a damp MF to wipe down the dash and such.....

Thanks for that link...all my sources are out of Red and I have bought up some extra and gave to family as gifts. I have more LSP than I need right now.
My truck was nasty about a month after I bought it. Of course that was in High School when all my buddies thought it was cool to put their dirty feet on the dash.. Until I pulled over and beat the crap out of them......

That pakshak place has lots of nice products from what I've seen.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:28 AM

Hey Rock, don't you think it would be a good idea to use a quality dressing for the UV protection it can provide? I'm really big on prevention and protection for new vehicles.

I'd even add in the following:

Scotch-Guard the carpet, headliner, and if applicable, the seats. If seats are leather, I'd condition/seal those babies, too. Meg's Gold is good.
I'd look into good floor liners NOW. I got the Nifty Extremes and like 'em.
Prevention steps for a new vehicle is money well spent. That first cup of coffee is just waiting to be splashed about the cab. Know what I mean? Somebody's gonna open a coke can that will leave it's mark on the headliner.

I often tell folks to get their new vehicles to me right away. Many, of course, reply with, "But it's new!"

I always laugh to myself when they show up after a couple of months looking pitiful about the spill that just wouldn't quite wipe up.......or the swirls that are starting to appear once the crap the dealer applies wears off, compounded by the owner's trip to the swirl o'matic.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dixieF150scab
Hey Rock, don't you think it would be a good idea to use a quality dressing for the UV protection it can provide? I'm really big on prevention and protection for new vehicles.
Most of the manufacs will tell you that the plastics that they're using in the dash materials now are VERY UV resiliant from the start and really don't require as much from a UV protection standpoint from the start.

Plastics have come a long way since the days of our fathers having the foam / vinyl dashes that tended to crack and peel because of older solvent-based dressings (read: Armor All & others -- note: AA has changed to a water-based formulation now and isn't nearly as bad as it once was!).

That said, I like to go over my dash with something like Poorboy's Natural or Meguiar's Quik Detailer Interior on a semi-annual basis or so... In my opinion, this type of regime will yield good looking results and boost the UV-blocking ability that is already there.

I'd look into good floor liners NOW.
Agreed 200%!! I've had Husky Liners in my past two trucks and **LOVE** them. Worth their weight in gold, in my opinion (and gold is sky-high right now baby! )

I often tell folks to get their new vehicles to me right away. Many, of course, reply with, "But it's new!"

Old 01-28-2008, 12:35 AM
i wouldn't mind knowing what pads and DA's you recommend. i want to do this right from the first moment i get the truck. I'm most likely going to have to do this the first day that i have the truck because they wouldn't have done anything to the truck. let me know what you think as far as pads and DA's to go along with the mentioned poorboy's products that you recommended.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 AM
i wouldn't mind knowing what pads and DA's you recommend. i want to do this right from the first moment i get the truck. I'm most likely going to have to do this the first day that i have the truck because they wouldn't have done anything to the truck. let me know what you think as far as pads and DA's to go along with the mentioned poorboy's products that you recommended.
There's a cheatsheet floating around here that has the product/pad recommendations for Meguiar's products. I know RockPick has posted it at least a few times. You should be able to find it with a search.

As for other companies, I'm sure that someone here can give you some advice. I know RR uses the Lake Country pads.

Quick Reply: poorboy's???