F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   Attn: POR-15 Users (https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing/312184-attn-por-15-users.html)

Copenhagen848 12-12-2007 08:44 PM

Attn: POR-15 Users

I'm kinda OCD when it comes to keeping my truck clean. Now that it's winter, I can't stand driving it knowing that the road salt and winter grime is getting all over the undercarriage, etc. My truck is not my DD, so it really doesn't have much rust on it yet, but in time it will of course.

I've been researching POR-15 and it seems to be an awesome product. I'm planning on buying some this spring to paint the frame, rear axle, and driveshaft since my truck is lifted. My question is how much do I need to buy....will a gallon be enough?

I'm planning on just getting some black Rustoleum for the leaf springs since a spray application will be much easier for areas like that.

Thanks.

doitonall4s 12-12-2007 10:56 PM

a gallon should cover a lot you dont need much n yes por-15 is awesome i put it in some spindles for one of my old cars like 4 years ago and to this day its dark black and you can smoke it with a biga$$ hammer n it wont chip

Copenhagen848 12-13-2007 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by doitonall4s
a gallon should cover a lot you dont need much n yes por-15 is awesome i put it in some spindles for one of my old cars like 4 years ago and to this day its dark black and you can smoke it with a biga$$ hammer n it wont chip

Good deal...thanks :beers:

RollingRock 12-13-2007 04:15 PM

My only advice, be very careful on the drive shaft. they get out of balance easy. The 04's had real problems with that until they fixed a bunch of them on a small recall and TSB's otherwise a good idea/.

Zaairman 12-13-2007 04:17 PM

I wouldn't get it near the driveshaft or the exhaust... But when I POR-15 my truck, I'll be getting a gallon. :thumbsup:

Play400 12-13-2007 06:36 PM

It doesn't not come off so be careful using it. Heard of a few stained driveways and garage floors.

Copenhagen848 12-13-2007 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zaairman
I wouldn't get it near the driveshaft

How come?

Zaairman 12-13-2007 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Copenhagen848
How come?

Cause if you get it on the driveshaft, it will throw it out of balance and your truck will get the shimmies while driving down the highway.
As for the exhaust, I wouldn't get it on it unless you enjoy the smell of burnt rubber.

SuperLB51 12-13-2007 07:40 PM

For your driveshaft and U joints a couple thin coats of Rustoelum will be just fine... and NO WORRIES of getting your driveshaft out of balance!

Bent6 12-13-2007 10:59 PM

POR goes a long way. I'd buy it in quarts. Are you going to brush it on? It's watery and runs easily. It will go bad (skin over) after it gets opened though it may take several months. It will glue the lid to the can. Place a plastic grocery bag under the lid before closing to prevent this. It will stain your skin and take weeks/months to come off. Use rubber gloves and eye protection. Give it two good coats of POR15 then go over it with POR chassis black to make look the best and last the longest.

SuperLB51 03-16-2008 02:24 PM

Not to bring this post up from the dead but...

Is POR15 Flexable? I want to pant my leaf springs with it as well but dont want it to start cracking off...

Bent6 03-16-2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Copenhagen848
I'm kinda OCD when it comes to keeping my truck clean. Now that it's winter, I can't stand driving it knowing that the road salt and winter grime is getting all over the undercarriage, etc. My truck is not my DD, so it really doesn't have much rust on it yet, but in time it will of course.

I've been researching POR-15 and it seems to be an awesome product. I'm planning on buying some this spring to paint the frame, rear axle, and driveshaft since my truck is lifted. My question is how much do I need to buy....will a gallon be enough?

I'm planning on just getting some black Rustoleum for the leaf springs since a spray application will be much easier for areas like that.

Thanks.

You'd be better off buying it in quarts, and going over it with POR chassis black as in my post below. You'll be surprised how far it really goes.

SuperLB51 03-16-2008 04:32 PM

Bent6 you seem to have used this stuff before... Is it Flexable?:confused:

ThumperMX113 03-16-2008 04:36 PM

I don't think I'd use POR-15 on the leaf springs as well as on the driveshaft. I'd just use some Krylon or Rustoleom (Sp?).

FX4REACTION1 03-17-2008 07:27 PM

Where can you purchase POR-15 and the POR Chassis Black from?

I've heard that this stuff is similar to what they use while undercoating.

Also, a good coat of primer and nice coat fo rattle can are enough to make it look good. I sprayed the one on my last truck, just wet sand it "400 grit" primer then paint. :thumbsup: