3M Finesse-It

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all machines can ruin a finish not just rotary
here is a da that ruined this one...look at the tell tell c or j hooks in the finsish

only to be brought back by a rotary with 3m products

Last edited by troberts6874; 10-31-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM
lol, tuning in....

Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by troberts6874
above post is not my pic...it is another from this site...
It's in your gallery, listed as:

Album Description: detail shots
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=14001

Click the link and see of yourself.

Are you saying these are yours?

Welcome to the gallery "troberts6874"
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=9881

Old 10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't remember... I may have tried this stuff once previously...

I definitely have used the 3m Perfect-It (the paste wax)(have it in my stash right now). It's a VERY valid replacement for #16 -- the only problem, I think 3M discon'd it too. Too bad... it's good stuff.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
WTF??? First off, you are not the authority on this. Neither am I, or any other person here. It is all personal preference. So get over your ego-- you are NOT better than anyone here. .....LET ME KNOW WHEN I MAKE THIS CLAIM.....

Let me finish with this: You need to do all the following:
1. Get a life-- you obviously live in a microcosm of 3M and rotary use....(WELL I KIND OF DO, 3M IS ALL I USE AND THOUGHT THAT THIS MIGHT A TOPIC THAT I WOULD POST IN...MAYBE READ THE FIRST THREAD....DO YOU USE 3M???? THEN WHY THE POST????)
2. Get over your ego-- your opinion is NOT more valid than ANYONE else's
3. Lighten up-- you certainly are not helping this forum
4. I suggest you leave. Or at least go under the radar for a while.
5. You remind me of a HS freshman: Stupid, arrogant, and taking blind shots into stuff you have no business saying. Had you been participating all the time you have "been here" (since you post around 20x a year-- once every 2 weeks), we *might* have considered listening to you. But no, since you read everything at the surface and dont mesh with anyone on this board (I have already hear more than one complaint about you), I suggest taking a trip to autogeek, where you can only talk about products they sell and have to be one of the 15 or so tha run it in order to get heard. Have fun, just not here.

RP-- if I am out of line here, feel free to edit/delete. Sorry if this is a problem, but I see this guy as a problem. Thanks!

no personal attacks on my side until provoked first. i guess humor can only go one way. i am a freak on swirls and minor scratches....i like to point fun at the "shade" photos because i know they "show better" i like to see a paint surface that is absolute swirl free

in all seriousness....a rotary will through product...if its not slinging it is too dry, you need to use alot to have it work, the pad will build to much heat if it becomes dry....the pad carries compound the compound does the work

Last edited by troberts6874; 10-31-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 PM
The PT cruiser pic is mine. and as I have mentioned before.. that pic was taken in the shade because it was almost 9:00 when I got done .. the sun doesn't always cooperate

As for the DA ruining the finish in the shot above.. my bet is the person that did that with a DA would have done worse with a rotary.

I don't have a lot of experience with the 3M stuff .,. I am planning on trying the UltraFina .. just haven't had time to go by and grab some, and I know some that swear by it ..

To imply that 3M is the only product that will produce results like that is flat wrong.

I can get those same results with Meg's, Menzerna or Norton (to name a couple). It is in the process and the tools .. not just the chemicals.

we've had this rotary vs DA discussion .. I don't believe in driving every nail with a 12 pound sledgehammer. A rotary is ALWAYS more agressive than a DA.

DA's can run finishes, burn paint, cause micro-marring etc .. again .. it is in the process and the tools .. not just the chemicals.

opinions .. we all have them ..

but also remember not all of us are "weekend warriors" (not that there is anything wrong with that .. some of the best "detailers" I have ever known are as good or better than most pros I know)

Some of us have earned a living doing this. I did for several years, and I have never used 3M compounds.. and don't kid yourself .. the guys that do it for a living aren't using rotaries just because they are "the only way to do the job correctly" most of the use a rotary every time because they are faster, and require less effort and time to remove defects. It allows them to turn out a consistent, good looking product with the least amount of effort.

and, BTW .. that PT was done with DeWalt using 8" Edge pads and a couple different MEg's products.. so I am sure it would have passed the "sun test" for you .

Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Old 11-01-2007, 12:21 AM
I would first like to thank everyone for their insightful and empassioned thoughts and opinions.

This is basically what I have gathered...

1. The 3M stuff works. No reason not to try it out, other than it appears to be sold in larger quantities.

2. Rotaries are more aggressive than DA's.

3. I am a complete noob who likes to take pics in the shade.

This one is beyond shade. Notice how I skillfully turned the work lamps away from the vehicle. Provides the precise amount of illusion that I was aiming for

Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by SleepyMax
Notice how I skillfully turned the work lamps away from the vehicle. Provides the precise amount of illusion that I was aiming for

"I don't care who you are".......DAT DER WUZ FUNNY

Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Back for the Race

Originally Posted by RollingRock
Funny. Just an FYI, SleepyMax is not so new around here as you claim...he is very active in the GD and he knows my humor. Sorry you didn't get it. I see you are more active in the GD area also.

As for photos in the shade. They are to show gloss and depth and over all finish. But you already knew that.

Taken from your gallery

You do good work I have seen it. Lets be a tad more cautious with the subtle insults.

Brake check me and you'll get the wall.
We will be in town Sun for the Race just sitting around with the A/C

Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by FALCON50EX
We will be in town Sun for the Race just sitting around with the A/C
Oh man, we are actually up in Hot Springs Ar right now.

There sure was a lot of RV's headed south.

JP

Sorry to miss you guys...I really want to fly that AC

Quick Reply: 3M Finesse-It