many detailing questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many detailing questions?

Okay I have several questions. I have used several types and brands over the years from turtle wax, zymol, zaino, 3M, Megs store bought, and others. I have always done things by hand but I am looking to change that as I get older. I know prep is the biggest step in a detail job. Also my new motivation is my 2006 Black supercab flareside FX4 that I just bought. This is my first black auto since my 1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R. Now it is all coming back to me why I have not owned a black car since.

I keep reading about a sticky on detailing. Can somebody please PM me with that? I keep reading about a DA, what is it? I think it is dual action polisher.

On to the dual action polisher versus buffer. I have always heard bad things about random orbitals if you do not know what you are doing. My dad just recently purchased what I believe is a Griots random orbital polisher. From what I read on Megs website the DA is better than a random orbital making it harder to burn the finish. Do I need both or will a DA do everything I need. Who makes the best DA and why? How long does it take to get good at using a DA? Should I practice on junkyard fenders or hoods?

While looking at Megs last night I looked at the buffing pads section and got all kinds of confused. With all the choices from wool, foam, cutting, finishing and 6.5 and 8 inch. What do I need and why and how many of each do I need? Who makes good pads?

While reading about towels I keep seeing everybody is using micro fiber towels now. I have always used 100% cotton hand and wash cloth size towels, that I purchased from the reject section at major home stores like Linen and things. How many towels do you own and use in a complete detail? What brand are you using and why?

This site is good that it is specific to Fords, but I own other makes also. Is there a good forum specific to just detailing that is not part of a manufacturer?

And if it makes a difference in your input, I only drive my truck at night and on weekends and it sits in the garage the rest of the time. We carpool in the 1991 T-bird SC. In Oklahoma we have bugs, dust, 100+ temps in the summer, moderate winters, and it is usually windy.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Porter Cable 7424 with pads no bigger then 6.5" foam. For towels go with Pak Shack, Cobra, or Chemical Guys.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Why the Porter over the Megs?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by quicktsi
This site is good that it is specific to Fords, but I own other makes also. Is there a good forum specific to just detailing that is not part of a manufacturer?
While I don't believe the detailing discussed here is specific to Fords, here are some other sites with info...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/

http://www.autopia.org/

http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/default.aspx

http://www.mothers.com/waxforum/

That should keep you busy for a while.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Honestly, I would go Megs over Porter-- Megs G100 IS the porter cable one with different logos BUT-- it has a lifetime warantee (as opposed to the one year).

As for the detailing sticky: Email me or PM me with you email or post your email here. I cant send the sticky over a PM-- its a MS word document 18 pages long. (and still in the workings)

Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM
PC 7424 and Meg's G100 are the same machine .. the Meg's machine has a lifetime warranty, the PC has a 1 year. If you look around on the net, you can usually find one in a package deal close to what the 7424 runs.

www.autodetailingsolutions.com is a good place if you are looking for a package deal.

is this the Griot's machine your dad has?

if so .. that machine will work fine. I don't like it as much as a PC, but the difference between the two is not enough to go out an buy another one, in my opinion. IT works the same way, and is just as safe.

You will want 6.5 inch foam pads. a couple of cutting pads, a couple of polishing pads, and a couple of finishing pads. Megs, Lake Country, and Sonus all make good pads. You can probably find a package that comes with several pads.

Stay away from wool pads. they are for more serious defect removal, and almost always used with a rotary buffer.

Dan mentioned several places to get good microfibers. ADS is another.

The general detailing techniques mentioned here will work on any brand car. Some of the european cars have a ceramic paint on them that requires a little different approach, but you would know if you had one that fell into that catagory.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Do I get the G100A or wait until the new model is released? The G100A is on special for Nov-Dec for 149.

I called my Dad and double checked which one he has. It is the model # 10925.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Bump for wait or buy? Also how many pads of each should I be looking at, along with mf towels?

Quick Reply: many detailing questions?