Help Me To Become Better

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me To Become Better

I'm seeking advice from you gurus about polishes. I generally get things done with Meg's #83 and #9. I use both with the DA and the rotary. I use only Meg's pads with both.
Want I would like is some advice on something with a little more cut. Or do I? I like what I use, and use it well, but sometimes I wonder if more abrasives would get me even better results.

I'm generally happy with my results. Folks that I detail for are very happy with my results. I realize that factory paint will never render custom paint appearance. I just want to do the best work I possibly can.

Here's a general breakdown of what I do:

After a through wash, I hand treat deeper scratches and defects with Scratch-X.
I follow up where needed with the rotary and #83.
I go over the entire vehicle with the DA and #83, or where filling is required with #9.
I then apply #7 with the DA and a finishing pad.
For the waxing step, I use NXT followed by PRO Yellow Wax. Would a Meg's wax render even better results?

........am I on a quest for something that is elusive?

Also, I'd like some input on Meg's wax applications. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 AM
As a general, quick reference, I would say when you are using the DA, change the #83 to #80.

Give us some more specifics about pads and speeds when you are using the #83 and #9.

I am not a big fan of #83 and the DA. I feel like I can get as good or better results with #80 and a DA, and never have any issues of micromarring, like can occur with the #83. I am a big fan of following behind with #9 on the entire vehicle, but if I am using #80, I don't feel the #9 is a required step. with the #83, you almost always need to follow that with something else.

As for waxes. Meg's #26 is one of my favorite pure carnuabas that are easily acquired. Mother's pure carnuaba is another I like.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow you must be from North Alabama, you don't sound like you're from the South at all

Old 10-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Seems like you want to stay with Meguiar's polishes. If that's the case, they make several products with more "cut" than #83. They have...

Medium Cut #01
Heavy Cut #04
Compound Power Cleaner #84

And if you really want to go crazy...

Diamond Cut #85

Obviously, these are products that should be used with your rotary... and with LOTS of care.

At some point, you may want to consider trying some Menzerma polishes. Great stuff!

Last edited by Boss_429; 10-28-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 AM
Pads

[QUOTE=Gipraw]

Give us some more specifics about pads and speeds when you are using the #83 and #9.
While I tend to use the least invasive pads and mediums possible, I generally use a cutting pad with the #83 at speeds of 5-6. That seems to be the only way to "get 'er done". #9 goes on with a polishing pad at 4-5. I'm talking DA speeds here, of course. I only go to the rotary when necessary.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 AM
sounds like you have a handle on it ..

I would give the #80 a try with the DA .. I think you will find it works as well as the #83 does when using the DA .. there is a much bigger difference in the two products from a rotary perspective.