Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Help please!

Ok, so Ive read countles post here, but I am just overwhelmed by everything and cant even start to figure anything out. All the #'s and pads and towels and whatnot, just to much for me to figure out on my own, so I would like a little help if I may ask. Something that a third grader could understand. All this #80, #21, etc. blah blah...I have NO idea what that is. I tried looking on Meguiars site...nothing that I could see.

Anywho...The truck is an 06, just turned over 11000 miles, so the paint is pretty new. However, it has the normal swirl marks and what not. I have at least 20 miles of gravel road no matter where I travel, so rock chips are endless, and the dust is horrible.

I need a plan of attack.

First I need to fix the paint chips. Plan to follow RP's suggestions I found from searching. Will probably end up being an eight day project, there are so many.

I have Meguiars Deep Crystal Car Wash that I use.

I plan to clay it with Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit.
http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detail...rface-Clay-Kit
Ive never clayed before so it will be a learing experience. Plan to do that every 3-4 months if that works?

Then use Meguiars ScratchX over the whole truck...Figure this would help with swirl marks, and just light scratches from leaning up against the truck and such?

Next use the Deep Crystal System Polish.

Finally, I have Gold Class Clear Coat paste wax that I have used for quite some time. It works for me so I figure I might as well stick with it as long as it will work?

I plan to do all of the above a maybe every few months. Is that something that would work to keep the paint looking good for the most part? Or do I need more?
Im just kind of putting this together from products I see on the Megs site. Will these products work good together? Is this the order they would need to go on in, or do I need to do some things in different orders?

How often would I need to do something like this?
I usualy just wash it and wax every couple washes, so this is a little more involved for me.

Finally, is there anything that maybe repells dust, so to say. I can have a perfectly clean looking vehicle, and by the time I get anywhere, it is covered in dust.

Sorry about all the questions and elementary like post, I am just overwhelmed by all this stuff. I cant even spell right or think straight trying to figure anything out. I need help

Thank to anyone with some input.

EDITED, to add...sometimes the truck can go a month without a wash or anything just because of weather and road conditions, so anything that would help the 'durability' or the products would be a plus too, if there is anything. Or do I just need to add another coat or two of wax for that?

Last edited by Bartak1; 06-05-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need to do scratch X over your entire paint ever 3-4 months...you do that and your clear will last about 1 year ...I would say do that this first time, and then just on the problem spots from now on...

Look at my post "Exterior Protection...New Truck" RP, RR, rusty, and others gave very good info in there and my plan of action is there...add the scratch X in there after the second wash and I would say that would be the way to go IMHO...

RP, RR, Rusty or someone I am sure will post up with more insight but that is what I would do from my learnings here...

O and for the dust use Meguiars Quick Detailer...Thatll keep the dust away...

and how often (I already answered the scratch X) but I would say put a coat of wax on when ever you see the water not bead up like it used to or when you think tha paint needs more depth...should be about every 2 maybe 3 months if you use synthetic...

Old 06-05-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm moving on to something a little less involved and less complicated.

Using Duragloss is fast, easy, no trim stain, no cure time, no dust, wet look shine, durability compares to Zaino, and everything can be applied in a couple hours at a ridiculously low price point.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 AM
I may have to try this duragloss stuff...

Rusty what do you suggest on a new truck as far as duragloss products go??? (not to hijack but it will prob give you some help too Bartak1)

Old 06-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Rusty what do you suggest on a new truck as far as duragloss products go???
1) Hand wash using Duragloss 901 Car Wash.

2) Clay using an AutoZone Clay Magic (blue) Clay Bar Kit.

3) Duragloss 671 Swirl Mark Remover as a pre-polish and cleaning agent.

4) Duragloss 601 Polish Bonding Agent, which works like an epoxy to form a chemical reaction with the paint and the next step (makes the protection last much longer) Allow approx. 30 minuets to dry.

5) Duragloss 105 Total Performance Polish - x2.

6) Duragloss 951 AquaWax as a finishing layer for extra protection and gloss.

7) Wash wheels apply AquaWax.

8) Exterior Rubber, like tires, Duragloss 201 Vinyl & Leather Dressing. I didn't think this was a rubber product, but on the bottle it recommends it for dressing and waterproofing tires.

The 601 does add gloss and also extends the durability.....it is like a cleaner and a hardener combined...cleans the surface to ensure a good bonding..and also reacts with the 105 to give it a hard clear glossy coat...

Here is a Duragloss prepped car from another detailing forum.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:11 AM
This sihow I like to see it lay it out for us dummies, thanks RZ, is this all applied by hand or pc?

Last edited by knighj1; 06-05-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Also what would need to be used after the once aweek wash to keep up the shine? just use a quick detailer? or could you apply another coat of the 951 to keep the pop?

Old 06-05-2007, 02:19 AM
I screwed up a bit on the directions. You'll want to leave the 601 bonding agent on the car/truck, then apply the 105 over the 601. In other words, you'll be wiping them both off at the same time.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
I screwed up a bit on the directions. You'll want to leave the 601 bonding agent on the car/truck, then apply the 105 over the 601. In other words, you'll be wiping them both off at the same time.

With this being said youwipe them off together than reapply the 105 again by itself?

Old 06-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Yes, use the 921, fast clean and shine detail spray.

DG works as a system. All the products work with each other. They are made to enhance each other.

Yes you can apply this by hand. Matter of fact, some of the Duragloss guru's would rather apply by hand. Why that is I dunno. I think they are crazy that way myself. But obviously, I use a PC.

Last edited by rustyzipper; 06-05-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Applying all these with pc would be ok? Can I use the meguiars pads?

Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Sure you can use Meg's pads. Duragloss is really, really an easy product to work with. I know I must sound like an infomercial but these are my experiences thus far using Duragloss.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:45 AM
With this being said youwipe them off together than reapply the 105 again by itself?
Yes you will apply the 105 minus the 601 bonding agent for the second coat. You don't need to use a second coat if you so choose not to do so. The second coat is more of an, "oh crap, I missed a spot," coat.

Last edited by rustyzipper; 06-05-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 AM
[QUOTE=rustyzipper]
1) Hand wash using Duragloss 901 Car Wash.

2) Clay using an AutoZone Clay Magic (blue) Clay Bar Kit.

3) Duragloss 671 Swirl Mark Remover as a pre-polish and cleaning agent.

4) Duragloss 601 Polish Bonding Agent, which works like an epoxy to form a chemical reaction with the paint and the next step (makes the protection last much longer) Allow approx. 30 minuets to dry.

5) Duragloss 105 Total Performance Polish - x2.

6) Duragloss 951 AquaWax as a finishing layer for extra protection and gloss.

[QUOTE]

Step 3-6 questions
3) PC on with 8006 and take off with MF towel
4) PC on with 8006 wait 30 then add 105 or add 105 immediatly, then wipe off with MF towel
5) PC on with 8006and wipe offwith Mf towel
6)hand on hand off
Should I substitue the 9006 pad anywhere?

Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Nah....I wouldn't use the 9006 pad. Well you could placing it on top of a MF towel to remove the polish. Hang on to one of the corners of the towel and the polish will come right off. I do this instead if using a MF bonnet. Some say it will cause marring. I've never had it happen. Just make sure it is a clean towel.